Do i need a pre filter with a Skippy filter

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the planning stage for a 165 gallon pond and a waterfall, I like the skippy filter, after searching I saw a few sites that said I would also need a pre filter.
If so what would that be?

Thanks

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its not necessary but i use one,actually two. it depends on your pump. i use a submersible tetrapond pump and it has an inlet hose fitting, so i use it, i run a legnth of hose, a tee connector and two more lengths of hose with a prefilter on each,to draw water from different areas of the pond. but also to avoid any clogging of my pump. and my pump can be closer to my filter,because the pumps have more pull than push, so it alleviates some of its work load, as opposed to locating the pump opposite side of pond.

Reaction score
i agree with koiguy...a prefilter for the pump will prevent clogging and possibly damage...not to mention prevent any small fish from being sucked up

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
mine are about 10" long and 6 inches round (barrel style) from tetra pond. you can see one in one of my "fish pix" in the photo forum. second set of pix, 3rd and 4th pictures. black slotted cylinder.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
in the outdoor pond i use them without the media inserts, the pictures are in the basement pond i use for wintering. and thats 2 put together, they are made so you can snap several together if you like. they catch debris before they hit your pump.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
JerryW said:
Hello,

I'm in the planning stage for a 165 gallon pond and a waterfall, I like the skippy filter, after searching I saw a few sites that said I would also need a pre filter.
If so what would that be?

Thanks

In a word NO.
I don't use or need one. My water is crystal clear.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My pump has a cage around it ...it will pass 1/4" solids to the filter for removal. I can shut the slitts if i dont want to suck up fry

Reaction score
I have my submersable pumps in a basket that is surrounded with filter media to prevent them from getting clogged with debri as I live out in the country surrounded by fields. Works for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Mine came with a prefilter and eventually I was going out to the pond everyother day to clean the prefilter because it was slowing my waterfall to a trickle due to it getting clogged with all sorts of debris. Eventually I tossed the thing and never looked back. Waterfall goes strong for weeks or longer now.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A pre-filter is dual purpose. First, it protects the pump from damage caused by clogging or large bits of debris damaging the impeller. Secondly, it reduces the amount of suspended matter that reaches the biofilter, thereby reducing filter maintenance time required.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
laguna pumps have cages and it just takes my good old dollar store toilet brush to clean it

Ask a Question