Do I need a skimmer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Built my house 3.5 years ago and where I’m putting my pond it’d be a good 15 years before I’d need to be even remotely worried about leaves and such. The pond I’m building will butt up next to a shed on one side and a flower garden on the other. Trees are are young and probably 35 feet away. Do I really need a skimmer in this situation? If no, I’m not thrilled about seeing the pump sit in the pond, but what other options are there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You could have an external pump ( as opposed to a submersible pump ) and "hide" it in some type of small structure, or with landscaping.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It depends on what kind of pond you want.
If you want a pond with a substrate bottom and submerged plants, then you don't need a skimmer. An aerator only would do.
You should have a plan in mind for handling dust and pollen that will blow in. Skimmers are best for that but if you have aggressive enough circulation, then a submerged pump to move suspended detritus to a mechanical and/or plant filter will do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What do you mean by “substrate” bottom? My plan as it stands was just a liner, no rock/gravel on bottom, a smaller waterfall, and absolutely having submerged plants with a very small fish population. I’m guessing I’d be unhappy with my decision if I went without one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
A substrate bottom would be a couple of inches of organic garden soil covered with about 1/2 inch of small 7 mm gravel. The substrate would absorb any detritus that settled to the bottom and convert that detritus into nutrients that would be available for the plants that have roots in the substrate.

Your idea for a pond is fine, just make sure you have enough water circulation so that the detritus stays suspended and gets removed by a filter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think that’s something you will have to decide. How big will your pond be — and how deep? A skimmer will keep surface stuff cleaned up, and this could be stuff just blowing around your yard, or from other people’s trees. Plus, look ahead to your potential future needs. Where do you think your pond will be in 10 years? If they are done properly, it’s not at all like you can see them. I didn’t build a skimmer into my pond, but now kinda wish I had. As an alternative, I have a floating skimmer (Oase swimskin, I think it’s called). It’s no where near as effective as a real, built-in skimmer, and it’s not perfect, but I can tell that it does some good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my mind a skimmer is always a need with a pond. You really need a way to skim the top layer of the water. Think of it this way it removes more than just leaves which seemed to be why you asked if the need was justified.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I really love my skimmer! I saved and purchased a Helix, which was expensive, but I'm glad I did, since it is probably the safest one for fish. I find that all sorts of things blow into the pond and are caught in the basket. I was very eager to get my pond equipment ordered (so I could dig) and hadn't saved enough yet to include a skimmer. It was hard to wait! I went to visit a neighbor with a pond and watched her sit in her lawn chair with her manual skimmer net. She is retired, so she enjoys the process of hand-skimming. But it was enough to make me decide to put the project on hold long enough to research and save. So -- in short, although you probably don't NEED one, I bet you would like having one. And it would be much easier to include it in the build from the very beginning, rather than adding later -- especially if you want your pipes and such buried and out of view. Good luck either way -- having a pond is so much fun!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love my "skimmer" too. I think a skimmer really makes a pond surface sparkle, which I love. Even a layer of tiny particles, like dust or pollen which all ponds are subject to collecting, will dull the surface of the water. But if that doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will get a skimmer. I don’t think I’m going to buying a helix skimmer though! $$$

I was at Menards today and they carry Tetrapond equipment. A too small skimmer and a $69 bio filter waterfall. The price is nice, but I a little surprised at what the actual equipment is....just basically a thin plastic bucket. Is there a big difference in quality/function between a tetrapond waterfall and one that’s 3 or 4 times the cost?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would advise you not to go cheap or too small.

No, I agree. No offense to anyone who has one, I just thought being able to pick up and hold the tetrapond products, that they waterfall and skimmer felt kinda flimsy. I just wondered if there really was very little to the design of these things or if the stuff—like at Pond Guy, or Atlantic—is built significantly better when you consider the much greater cost.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, I agree. No offense to anyone who has one, I just thought being able to pick up and hold the tetrapond products, that they waterfall and skimmer felt kinda flimsy. I just wondered if there really was very little to the design of these things or if the stuff—like at Pond Guy, or Atlantic—is built significantly better when you consider the much greater cost.
As they say, you get what you pay for!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As they say, you get what you pay for!

I went for the Helix it is quality built the plastics are heavy enough where it should be able to handle the weather and ice of new England. But two options led me to the Helix THE STRICKLY SURFACE skimming for one, this should limit live aquatics from being sucked in. And the extra deep basket strainer for the leaves in the fall as I will be traveling at some point again I'm sure. The strainer is an actual plastic basket and not a net that can tear. For what they all are they are all very pricey in my estimate. 500 bucks for a plastic barrel is pretty steep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Have you checked out Webb's Water Gardens online? They have tons of stuff and many different options and brands. Pond kits, too - with everything needed for different size ponds. If you come up with a package you like, you might even find a local dealer who will match the prices in order to get your business. If nothing else, it's a fun place to see what's available and compare prices.

Ask a Question