Do I need a skimmer?

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
My ponds gonna be 3 meters by two and 3 feet deep with no fish but a water feature and lights and some rocks

we also have huge trees around us and lots of leaves do fall only in fall season

would i need a skimmer for it I have this pump and I was wondering if it can be attached to any of these skimmers and how it can be attached Cause im a newb :rolleyes: (ive done some research so I get the idea of a skimmer I just wanna see if they are needed)'
And witch one will be the best?

Pump: http://thepondboss.net/product/pp575-575-gph-pond-pump/

Skimmers: https://www.amazon.ca/TetraPond-265...8&qid=1527723999&sr=8-4&keywords=pond+skimmer

https://www.amazon.com/OASE-SwimSki...hipping_option-bin:3242350011,p_36:2661614011

I kinda want to make it easier for myself cleaning the pond because my pump does have a filter but its at the bottom not the top
and with any of these skimmers will i still need a net over in the fall season? Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is a skimmer needed? No. Is a skimmer great to have on a pond? Yes.

You don't attach your pump to your skimmer - your pump sits down inside of your skimmer, which is another good reason to have one - a place for your pump to live. And skimming the big debris before it gets to the pump is ideal. Your pump will last longer and you will spend less time pulling it out of the pond to clean it because it's clogged with debris.

A skimmer not only pulls the big debris off the surface, it also pulls the microscopic debris - things like pollen and dust - that make your pond surface look dull. I think a pond with a skimmer always looks more sparkly on the surface.

As for a net - that's really up to you. It sure makes keeping the leaves out of the pond easier if you have a lot of trees. But some people just prefer to scoop leaves as they fall. If you have the time and love to putter around the pond, that's fine too.

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Is a skimmer needed? No. Is a skimmer great to have on a pond? Yes.

You don't attach your pump to your skimmer - your pump sits down inside of your skimmer, which is another good reason to have one - a place for your pump to live. And skimming the big debris before it gets to the pump is ideal. Your pump will last longer and you will spend less time pulling it out of the pond to clean it because it's clogged with debris.

A skimmer not only pulls the big debris off the surface, it also pulls the microscopic debris - things like pollen and dust - that make your pond surface look dull. I think a pond with a skimmer always looks more sparkly on the surface.

As for a net - that's really up to you. It sure makes keeping the leaves out of the pond easier if you have a lot of trees. But some people just prefer to scoop leaves as they fall. If you have the time and love to putter around the pond, that's fine too.

So are there any budget skimmers? Because 400 dollars is like almost the price of a new phone! Lol! And ive seen youtube tutorials online and they usally have waterfalls but i dont have one i just have a pump that shoots water straight up with nozzles since I dont have a waterfall et and its very expensive right now will it better if I just get that floating skimmer?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
9x6 x 6 is a good size pond a water flow of only 600 is just barely enough.

Is a skimmer needed nope do you like using a net constantly to remove all the leaves and debris that make it into the pond?

You get what you pay for will a 50 dollar skimmer work as well as a couple hundred dollar skimmer I doubt it survio have filters and uv lights.

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I might just be better off with a floating skimmer because my ponds not that deep and not that huge Would the oase swim skim be good? For 3m by 2m. 2 feet deep? Rectangle modern designed pond? Thanks and my pump lives in those box filters under water too so

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have no idea what that question is supposed to mean. And why do you give us measurements in both meters and feet? It gets confusing.

Remind me - do you currently have a pond? Or is this a planned pond? Is it a pond or is it more of a pool with a venturi fountain?

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I have no idea what that question is supposed to mean. And why do you give us measurements in both meters and feet? It gets confusing.

Remind me - do you currently have a pond? Or is this a planned pond? Is it a pond or is it more of a pool with a venturi fountain?

Ya sorry I thought it would be confusing

So I had an old pond that I wanna make bigger and modern And I wanted a skimmer but I was wondering if its needed and you guys said its good so I was thinking for my planned pond if the oase swim skim would be good on a 2 by 3 meter pond and 2 and a half feet deep

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have an OASE swim skim. It works for me but not as well as a regular skimmer would.

If this is all in the planning stages why not save up and buy your equipment a little at a time — and not skimp. It’s a lot easier to install a quality skimmer at the initial build than it will be to install a cheap one OR to go back later and do a retro-install.

Last edited:

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I have an OASE swim skim. It works for me but not as well as a regular skimmer would.

If this is all in the planning stages why not save up and buy your equipment a little at a time — and not skimp. It’s a lot easier to install a quality skimmer at the initial build than it will be to install a cheap one OR to go back later and do a retro-install.
well we kinda have been waiting for a year plus if I wait summers gunna end then another year will have to be waited so Idk lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I may not have many agree with me but in my book anything Oases or Tetra is introductory pond equipment. Its not that they won't work but they need ideal conditions to work well. And I know if my pond space was limited in size I wouldn't waste the space with a floating skimmer. If its cutting and sealing the liner your uncomfortable with, trust me if you have used a caulking gun a screw driver and a shovel you can do it yourself. A kid with plastic car modeling kits I could show them its really that easy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So you have an "old pond"? What kind of old pond is it exactly? And what is a modern pond in your mind?

Ask a Question