Do I need a skimmer?

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
So you have an "old pond"? What kind of old pond is it exactly? And what is a modern pond in your mind?

Old pond as in old run down needing a remodel into a modern pond lots of pictures online im just not sure how to put a pic using a phone, but I dont have a waterfall so how is a normal skimmer gunna work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have an Atlantic ps4000 and it works good. Not the cheapest or the most expensive. I rebuilt my pond and bought the same one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you pump is in your skimmer it will still pull water towards it even without a waterfall. Are you planning for any filtration other than the basket on the end of the pump?

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
If you pump is in your skimmer it will still pull water towards it even without a waterfall. Are you planning for any filtration other than the basket on the end of the pump?

My Pond wont have any fish it will have some plants possibly in the future its more of a fountain I wanted to add a 3 tier nozzle to it thats why i was thinking of a floating skimmer and the pump has a filter attached to it on the bottom and I was wondering if my pond will be even needing a skimmer because of its size. 3 by 2 meters and 2 and a half feet deep. (Or would it be a better Idea to build the pond then save up for a skimmer whats better?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - so not a pond. I'm not sure what a 3 tier nozzle has to do with a skimmer, but if a floating skimmer is in your budget, go for it. And your "pond" is almost 10 ft by 6 ft (if I'm doing my conversion right) and 2.5 feet deep - that's around 1000 gallons - I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the size in relation to a skimmer. If it were a 1000 gallon pond with fish and plants you'd want a skimmer. Is it different in your mind because it's not going to have fish and plants? And are you SURE you won't have fish? Lots of people set out to build a fish free water feature and end up with fish - it's hard to resist! Why go to all that trouble just to float some plastic plants?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TBH Not to a grammar Nazi, but the word is “which,” not “witch.”

This is a witch. Sorry, but it’s been bugging me.....
5F74C85E-AD74-4A17-A1AA-59AE9172C406.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TBH I hate to tell you, but a floating skimmer — and I really do like my Swim Skim (even with its shortcomings) — isn’t going to be that great at handing a lot of leaf debris. It’s good for smaller stuff like pollen and occasional smaller debris. And if you are looking more at a “fountain” feature, the action of the water falling around and on the Swim Skim is going to hamper the “skimmer” effect. I speak here from experience — and when it comes to anything about ponds, that’s all that most of us can contribute.....is our own experience. Ultimately, you’re going to have to decide what’s best for your situation.

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
OK - so not a pond. I'm not sure what a 3 tier nozzle has to do with a skimmer, but if a floating skimmer is in your budget, go for it. And your "pond" is almost 10 ft by 6 ft (if I'm doing my conversion right) and 2.5 feet deep - that's around 1000 gallons - I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the size in relation to a skimmer. If it were a 1000 gallon pond with fish and plants you'd want a skimmer. Is it different in your mind because it's not going to have fish and plants? And are you SURE you won't have fish? Lots of people set out to build a fish free water feature and end up with fish - it's hard to resist! Why go to all that trouble just to float some plastic plants?
Yea true we just wanted a water feature plus it gets very cold here and we will need to pay more for fish we might have them later on when we save up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't have a skimmer or a bottom drain ,no need since nothing really gets blown into the pond that a pool net can't get .Since it is not a pond it is a fountain that is easy a little peroxide will keep it clean

Ask a Question