Do I need a skimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Happy Sunday to you all! I am about done digging a 4,200 gallon pond. Actually it is a waterfall/pond with a stream connecting another pond; all new construction. I have never done this before but am doing a lot of research and excited to get some great advice from you guys!
My question is, do I need a skimmer? I will be installing a waterfall spillway/filter appropriate for my size pond but do I also need a skimmer in the lower pond? As this piece would add an easy $175 to my cost, I don’t want to purchase it if I don’t absolutely need it. My daughter says fish are a must have so take that into consideration as well please and thanks in advance for any advice!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Personally, with that size pond, I would go with a skimmer if you can work it into your budget. They aren’t a necessity, but can sure make pond-care a lot less complicated. I didn’t install one, and am having to depend on a small, floating skimmer, plus netting out fallen leaves.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Skimmers are nice. I have mine on the downwind end of the pond. The winds helps push the leaves into the skimmer. Or you can net out things that fall in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The end result is to get any foreign material out of the pond as quick as possible to avoid nitrates from spiking and phosphates from causing algae blooms. Well a skimmer removes this material almost as fast as it falls into the pond! enough said? if you don't empty the skimmer as needed then yes it is not a benefit to the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A skimmer does help remove the larger debris before it sinks, but I find it also removes the fine particles that land on the water - the dust and pollen and microscopic things the wind carries around - and helps keep the pond surface "shimmery". If you love shimmer and sparkle, you'll love a skimmer! But as @GBBUDD said - if you don't have the time or inclination to keep a skimmer free of debris it could be a detriment as they can fill up fast, especially in the fall if you get a lot of leaves in your pond. Something to think about!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
My pond is kind of in an L shape. I had 1 skimmer, but had debris that wasn't getting caught in the skimmer because of the shape, so I added a second. Adding it after the pond was built was a pain, but I don't regret it. The first skimmer has 2 pumps in it that go to my waterfalls. The second skimmer I have going to my bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is kind of in an L shape. I had 1 skimmer, but had debris that wasn't getting caught in the skimmer because of the shape, so I added a second. Adding it after the pond was built was a pain, but I don't regret it. The first skimmer has 2 pumps in it that go to my waterfalls. The second skimmer I have going to my bog.

Thanks for your response! Pardon my ignorance,this is why I’m here lol, but how do you have 2 pumps connected to the waterfall? I have wondered what I would do if my pump isn’t strong enough and didn’t realize adding a second pump was an option. So I am curious about this. Does your waterfall filter/spillway have 2 inputs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Thanks for your response! Pardon my ignorance,this is why I’m here lol, but how do you have 2 pumps connected to the waterfall? I have wondered what I would do if my pump isn’t strong enough and didn’t realize adding a second pump was an option. So I am curious about this. Does your waterfall filter/spillway have 2 inputs?

I had room in my skimmer for 2 pumps, so I have 2 in there. The bigger of the 2 goes to a waterfall with some material in for housing beneficial bacteria. The second pump goes to my skippy filter. The skimmer had holes in each side for hoses to enter/exit, so I took advantage of it. :)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Even if your waterfall filter only has one hole, you can always add one by drilling it.

The pond in my front yard has 2 skimmers feeding to one waterfall. Just have check valves in the line, so if I have to clean one or it breaks down, I don’t have to shut the other one off to fix it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One skimmer can do a lot of work it can handle a large ornamental pond. My pond is 26 feet long and probably pretty close to that in width I lost count as I kept pushing it back using up extra rubber, but anyways the water fall is very close to the skimmer about 10 feet away. Its the area in the video off to the right of the falls that's the darkest at the weater line. There's a boulder that directs the water across the pond to where there are two jets just like in a swimming pool that both push the water toward the skimmer. This creates a swirling motion across the entire pond. Well there's no doubt it's big enough to do the job as the maple helicopter seeds have tested the pond followed by a second flying seed kinda like milk weed seeds but much worse there's millions of them. The Helix skimmer would have the surface clear within an hour. I have little doubt that a survio or other top brand would have also done the job. But I love how the helix only takes from the surface. Some questioned the skimmer on the same side of the pond as the waterfall but as you can see it works well. Sorry the clarity is poor I have been installing plants and a bog and the upper pond that did a number ôn clarity . I've been up and running I believe 6weeks now with no filter its high on the list to get running . I have water in the bog circulating and hopefully flushing out some of the dirt.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is really something else GBBUDD, so beautiful! Well I think I’m convinced that I do indeed need a skimmer. Thank you all and I am sure I will be hittin’ y’all up for more great advice real soon.

Ask a Question