Do I need a UV system since I'll have a bog? It's part of a package.

Reaction score
I finally found a contractor to help me build my new pond, which will of course include a bog filter. We may be breaking ground this week or early the week after.

I found a package from Half Off Ponds that includes 45 mil EPDM liner, underlayment, pump, skimmer, waterfall, lamp and fittings for what seems to be a good price. Their next up package includes an aerator (which I think would be good) but also a UV system, which I don't think I'll need. It's an extra $200. (The package also includes a slightly bigger pump.)

Is it worth the extra $200? Any harm in using the UV or should I not bother with it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
An aerator . A stone or rubber bladder. And hose can run 100 bucks without battling an eye.
A larger pump is certainly a good thing you can always use more circulation . And that option alone can be 200 bucks.
The uv I have to agree is pretty much old school and a waste of money. It kills one thing which intern makes food for the next problem visous circle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As to the underlayment they are not all the same if your in a rocky area or lots of stumps you may want to beef that up to at least an 8 oz if sharp rocks like shale I'd go even higher yes it adds to cost but it's insurance to keep the liner safe.
What size pond
What size pump
Where are you located
Will you be having fish ? Koi ?

Reaction score
As to the underlayment they are not all the same if your in a rocky area or lots of stumps you may want to beef that up to at least an 8 oz if sharp rocks like shale I'd go even higher yes it adds to cost but it's insurance to keep the liner safe.
What size pond
What size pump
Where are you located
Will you be having fish ? Koi ?
It's mostly sand here (coincidentally, we live in the "Sand Lake" area, lol) although there are mature oak trees I'm working around. I'm trying to keep the pond size down to what will fit over a 20 x 25 liner. I'm in mid-Michigan, zone 5a. I currently have 3 koi and 5 large goldfish. I think they're all males, so we have a stable and calm group of fish, and I'd be happy to keep it that way. They killed all the girls.

These are the two packages I'm considering:

4000 GPH pump in this package for $1360

4100 GPH pump in the package with the additional aerator and UV filter for $1572

I suppose I could try to sell the UV bit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Kink-Free Tubing, is what they are selling you i would ask for an upgrade to flex pvc even if you had to pay for the kink free and save it for maintenance or something. they are night and day

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These are the two packages I'm considering:

4000 GPH pump in this package for $1360

4100 GPH pump in the package with the additional aerator and UV filter for $1572

I suppose I could try to sell the UV bit.
I'm using the 4100 kit for my approximately 700 gal pond. Two years in, I'm happy with my choice. All 10 of the original goldfish I started with seem happy and healthy. I do not use the aerator, but the pond does have two waterfalls to help in that regard. As for the UV light, I do use it in the summer months.

Ask a Question