Do I need a wetland filter for an 15' by 11' pond with 20 ft stream

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am almost finished installing a pond with waterfall and stream. I'm using Aquascape inc equipment. The pond is 15' by 11' about 2 1/2 ft deep, along with about a 20 ft stream with cascading waterfalls. I have the Aquascape 1000 skimmer as well as an Aquascape 2500 biofalls. I have their automatic dosing unit and their ion-gen 2 algae control, to utilize if needed. My question is, do I need to install a wetland filter too? If so, i would be looking to do it near the top of the stream. This has been a very physical project for a 56 year old guy to say the least. I don't have any construction equipment helping me to lift the rock into place. Obviously, I want clean clear water. And obviously being a " do it all by yourself-er " I would prefer to not have to do the wetland. But will, if needed. Any advice, help, or information you can provide, or tips, is greatly appreciated. Thankyou, Derek.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many ponds without wetland filters. But ponds with a wetland filter tend to be more clear and lower maintenance. I think you will really be glad if you put it in. Once set up it is not much work to maintain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No one "needs" a bog filter - but everyone should have one! (Heck - you didn't really "need" a pond, did you? ;) )

Honestly of all the things I learned from Aquascape the bog filter concept has been the most valuable. When we were purchasing all our equipment, an employee there just off-handedly mentioned "have you considered adding a bog?" And I was hooked. We had heard a few pond owners mention "oh that's our bog filter - we had that added later" on a few pond tours but I was still soaking in all the other info and didn't really pay attention. But once it was explained to me what it was I was hooked.

One big benefit for us of the bog was the ability to increase water volume without expanding the pond size. Our bog and waterfall occupy a raised bed garden that's about 3 feet above the pond, so we're able to have an additional 4 or 5 hundred gallons of water in the bog, as well as another 1000 gallons underground in the rain exchange. All that extra water volume helps stabilize a pond, keeps the water warmer in winter and cooler in the summer. All that in addition to adding biological filtration AND another place to grow plants. Win Win WIN.

Aquascape was really just at the start of building bog filters on new ponds when we were starting our build, but had been retrofitting them on ponds for a few years. Now you rarely see them build a pond without one It's a game changer really.

Maybe later we can discuss that auto-doser and IonGen...

Reaction score
Country
United States
No one "needs" a bog filter - but everyone should have one! (Heck - you didn't really "need" a pond, did you? ;) )

Honestly of all the things I learned from Aquascape the bog filter concept has been the most valuable. When we were purchasing all our equipment, an employee there just off-handedly mentioned "have you considered adding a bog?" And I was hooked. We had heard a few pond owners mention "oh that's our bog filter - we had that added later" on a few pond tours but I was still soaking in all the other info and didn't really pay attention. But once it was explained to me what it was I was hooked.

One big benefit for us of the bog was the ability to increase water volume without expanding the pond size. Our bog and waterfall occupy a raised bed garden that's about 3 feet above the pond, so we're able to have an additional 4 or 5 hundred gallons of water in the bog, as well as another 1000 gallons underground in the rain exchange. All that extra water volume helps stabilize a pond, keeps the water warmer in winter and cooler in the summer. All that in addition to adding biological filtration AND another place to grow plants. Win Win WIN.

Aquascape was really just at the start of building bog filters on new ponds when we were starting our build, but had been retrofitting them on ponds for a few years. Now you rarely see them build a pond without one It's a game changer really.

Appreciate the input, I have an aquasurge 4000 - 8000 gph pump, would I be able to run both the 2500 biofalls and wetland filter from both? Maybe use a T to split the line, and send one to the biofalls, and the other to the centipipede?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishy welcome.gif
@Derek Drezek

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many ponds without wetland filters. But ponds with a wetland filter tend to be more clear and lower maintenance. I think you will really be glad if you put it in. Once set up it is not much work to maintain.
That's the answer I kinda thought I would get, but for additional work reasons, was hoping I would not get. Haha. Yeah, I do believe a wetland build is in my future here. Thankyou for the input. I have an aquasurge 4000- 8000 gph pump. Do I need 2 pumps. One for the biofalls and one for the wetland? Or can I install a t and split the line to both? Or is the biofalls just not needed with a wetland? I'd Appreciate your input on that too Thanks for responding to my question. Derek.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
use a T to split the line
Don't want to use T's if you can help it T wye is more what you want to use. That and 90's . Look at it like your driving when you get on the free way you have a long sweeping turn and you can keep the up. Now take a sharp 90 degree right hand turn into a street you can't keep the speed. Water can't either it hits the wall on the other side and slows down or what is called head pressure. Slightly different but same idea.
As mentioned above do you need a bog , well. Yes Yes and more yes. Imo.

There are other ways to get clarity. If you don't plan on adding koi but your going with 6 goldfish that can get to a foot long and you don't feed them much the biofalls with regular maintenance should do the job justttt fine.
Now you want 20 koi and love to feed them than I would recommend having as much filtering as you can get.

Is there other products out there that can rival to get the clarity like a bog sure are the less work to set up in the short term maybe. The drum filter and Bakki shower is a strong runner up.

The bog is probably the least amount of work down the road. I love putting the plants in the bog all kinds of unusual speciece that you won't find in the average garden.

Can you split a 8000 gph to two areas? Yes . You can actually go to three like a circulation jet in the pond . That is often overlooked and under appreciated.

Before you get much further in your build post some pics they can help us help you if we see something that can save you time and money.

The best thing to having two pumps is if one dies not every fish will too because of lack of O2. So if your not in California New York New Jersey or lovely CT then a second 3000 gph pump could do the job. For a bog and use the 800 for return jet and bio falls.

first is others enjoying the pond

Second is kicking back enjoying the pond

Third is adding plants to a section of the bog as is the fourth.

The last is the old timer watching dad play in the pond.
20230508_061235.jpg
20230509_170156.jpg
20230513_151450.jpg
20230513_151447.jpg

20230513_151714.jpg

Ps AQuascapes got me Very hooked in this hobby as well

Welcome to the site

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't want to use T's if you can help it T wye is more what you want to use. That and 90's . Look at it like your driving when you get on the free way you have a long sweeping turn and you can keep the up. Now take a sharp 90 degree right hand turn into a street you can't keep the speed. Water can't either it hits the wall on the other side and slows down or what is called head pressure. Slightly different but same idea.
As mentioned above do you need a bog , well. Yes Yes and more yes. Imo.

There are other ways to get clarity. If you don't plan on adding koi but your going with 6 goldfish that can get to a foot long and you don't feed them much the biofalls with regular maintenance should do the job justttt fine.
Now you want 20 koi and love to feed them than I would recommend having as much filtering as you can get.

Is there other products out there that can rival to get the clarity like a bog sure are the less work to set up in the short term maybe. The drum filter and Bakki shower is a strong runner up.

The bog is probably the least amount of work down the road. I love putting the plants in the bog all kinds of unusual speciece that you won't find in the average garden.

Can you split a 8000 gph to two areas? Yes . You can actually go to three like a circulation jet in the pond . That is often overlooked and under appreciated.

Before you get much further in your build post some pics they can help us help you if we see something that can save you time and money.

The best thing to having two pumps is if one dies not every fish will too because of lack of O2. So if your not in California New York New Jersey or lovely CT then a second 3000 gph pump could do the job. For a bog and use the 800 for return jet and bio falls.

first is others enjoying the pond

Second is kicking back enjoying the pond

Third is adding plants to a section of the bog as is the fourth.

The last is the old timer watching dad play in the pond.
View attachment 157407View attachment 157405View attachment 157404View attachment 157403
View attachment 157402

Ps AQuascapes got me Very hooked in this hobby as well

Welcome to the site
Thankyou so much for the advice and input. I will take some pictures and get them up for you to see. ( dark out now ). I'm almost afraid to. Ha. Those that you have are beautiful. I was told by a guy at Webbs water gardens online, that I could do a canister filter as well, for a little boost with water quality. I really want to set the biofalls 2500 up and get water running. I'm close to being able to do that, if I don't go with the wetland / bog filter. It's been a lot of heavy lifting and hours digging so far. Placing 2 to 3 man rocks into place as best I could using ancient Egyptian techniques all by myself. Haha. I really don't know how I have been able to do that. Stand there, staring at the rock thinking, " how can I do this ? ". In the end, just " willing " it into place, I guess. Got nothing to show for it yet. Everybody says, it just looks like a pile of stone. So,.... really don't want to do a bog on top of everything else I have done so far, but know, now would be the best time, if it's necessary. I really appreciate your input. I'm thankful, that you have taken the time, help me. Back to work tomorrow. 7 am to 7 pm, but will get some pics up ASAP. Take care, Derek.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Depot rents small equipment for relatively cheap money compared to a blown out back. THIS IS A TRICK YOU CAN USE. But keep in mind the counter balance so you don't get thrown into the pond . yes yellow is boulders . no stick figure is not me i used EQUIPMENT. IF THE BOULDER IS A TWO MAN THIS WORKS WELL BY YOUR SELF THE FRICTION WORKS LIKE PULLIES BUT IN REVERSE. THREE man boulders can work as well but starts to get tricky . yes the black is fabric

BOLDER ELEVATOR (1 of 1).jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thankyou for replying and helping me. I do believe I am gonna take that last extra step here and do a wetland filter. Thankyou so much. Derek.

Reaction score
Country
United States

What are your thoughts on the autodoser and ion -gen? While I am contemplating the wetland filter, I would like to hear your opinion on them both. Take your time. I appreciate your advice on the wetland. Thankyou for helping me. Derek.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

I built my pond in 2010, at the time was told by many that my pond with ONLY a bog type filter would fail. BTW my third pond with only a bog type filter, but my best. Very basic, pea gravel and pvc and of course plants.

My water is still crystal clear, never get a string algae attack, can usually count the snails in the 5 foot area eating up the bottom.
Since I built mine I have seen bog filters come into pond talk. I read a lot of forums on monster pond builds, they were using bog filters, so I did. My pond is not a monster build.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depot rents small equipment for relatively cheap money compared to a blown out back. THIS IS A TRICK YOU CAN USE. But keep in mind the counter balance so you don't get thrown into the pond . yes yellow is boulders . no stick figure is not me i used EQUIPMENT. IF THE BOULDER IS A TWO MAN THIS WORKS WELL BY YOUR SELF THE FRICTION WORKS LIKE PULLIES BUT IN REVERSE. THREE man boulders can work as well but starts to get tricky . yes the black is fabric

View attachment 157412
I like your drawing. Ha. Yeah, I did the kind of stuff that u have drawn out there. It seemed that every rock was different in how I had to get it where I wanted it. I even made a crude crane. I'll have to take a pic of it when I get time. Working 12 hour shifts again here in East granby, ct. but, i took a large plastic bin. Placed a 7 ft tall hollow metal post in the front. Mixed a bag of concrete into the bin. Then, I used an L shaped steel rod. Placed one end into the hole on the post. The other end, about 7 feet long extended horizontally out away from the bin. Used a chain hoist, with lifting straps. Put counterweight into the end of the bin, opposite the post. Used concrete slabs for counter wright. Lifted and placed some of the rocks that way. It worked, but it was a pain. I'm on a slope. Had to level the plastic bin first. Etc etc etc. I'll get some video or pics for u soon.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What are your thoughts on the autodoser and ion -gen? While I am contemplating the wetland filter, I would like to hear your opinion on them both. Take your time. I appreciate your advice on the wetland. Thankyou for helping me. Derek.
What are you auto dosing or do you mean auto top off? For the auto doser, I have never used one on my pond so I consider them unnecessary for me….Are you sure you need it and is it fool proof? Ie does it have redundancies in place to keep it from getting stuck on and over dosing whatever into your pond

As for the ion-gen, no stay away from those. They introduce copper into the pond, which is acutely toxic in minute amounts to invertebrate life and chronically toxic to fish. No reason to use those what so ever.

Ask a Question