Do I need anything under the underlayment to keep chipmunks out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I still don't have all the money saved up for my pond, so I can't dig yet. I've been doing some pre-digging chores, like working with a rope, deciding on the approximate outline of the pond. I moved a huge forsythia out of the way and today worked on relocating a rose and some balloon flowers. As I was sweating my brains out, I was wondering: do I need to use hardware cloth or anything on the sidewalls of the hole to keep chipmunks from digging into the liner? We have lots of the little boogers, even with the stray cats in our neighborhood. Or maybe the hardware cloth would be more likely to make a hole in the liner than the chipmunks would.

And what about power cords? We will run the majority of the power line underground in a conduit, but I'm sure some of it will be accessible. Has anyone had problems with critters chewing on wires? Our neighborhood goes hog wild at Christmas, with lighted chicken wire spheres high in the trees. We had squirrels chew through the insulation on some of our big extension cords.

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything that you can do. Hardware cloth would work but it would be hard to install and could pierce the lining. As far as the wiring goes I run my pump wire through a piece of pvc and attach a string to it, The string makes it easy to pull the wire through in either direction which is needed when installing or removing the pump.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gee, that's a good question! Like @mgmine said, I'd be afraid of puncturing the liner with hardware cloth, but I'm sure it's been done before.

How deep do chipmunks dig? You could always build a collar around the pond that could reach as deep as you needed it to. I won't even try to explain what a collar is, but there are lots of places to look on the net (I'll try to find something). It sounds complicated to do, but I decided to build one when I was forced to do a major rehab due to poor and shifting soil (clay), and though it took a little longer, wasn't that bad.

And maybe someone else has a simpler solution. We don't have burrowing critters here, so I never had to worry about that.

--------
EDIT: LOL, I just did a quickie Google search and here is my original post on GPF, though maybe not very helpful. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/pond-collars-advice-needed-for-a-project.13622/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a chipmunk living under the waterfall stream. I'm constantly afraid he's going to make bad choice and flood his house.

So, yes, under the stream a layer of hardware cloth would be a good risk mitigation technique. Over that, lay down some old carpet (i.e. free liner padding). I wouldn't bother with hardware cloth under the pond, just a layer of old carpet will do.

As for wires, I've never had a problem with critters and the SJOOW cable for the pumps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We have ninja squirrels here and they are just weird. They love the insulation on extension cords. Little poops that they are. I like the idea of using old carpet, although our chipmunks chew through anything. I read somewhere else that diatomaceous earth beneath the underlayment is helpful. I know it's good for getting rid of bugs -- but maybe it is irritating to rodents too? Let's hope!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have ninja squirrels here and they are just weird. They love the insulation on extension cords. Little poops that they are. I like the idea of using old carpet, although our chipmunks chew through anything. I read somewhere else that diatomaceous earth beneath the underlayment is helpful. I know it's good for getting rid of bugs -- but maybe it is irritating to rodents too? Let's hope!
Once DE becomes moist, it supposedly (for bugs, anyway) loses its effectiveness at desiccating the exoskeletons.

Gee, glad we only have normal squirrels (and no chipmunks) here. On top of everything else, what a pain to have to worry about the power cords!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Seriously, they are boogers. One year, we planted habaneros, thinking it would be one thing the squirrels wouldn't eat. Apparently, they enjoy spicy food.

My husband had to install several different latches on the top of the bird feeder -- and even had to turn them around weird ways to confuse them. It didn't. It's like The Rats of NIMH. Super smart and determined.

And yet they run out in front of cars.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Seriously, they are boogers. One year, we planted habaneros, thinking it would be one thing the squirrels wouldn't eat. Apparently, they enjoy spicy food.

My husband had to install several different latches on the top of the bird feeder -- and even had to turn them around weird ways to confuse them. It didn't. It's like The Rats of NIMH. Super smart and determined.

And yet they run out in front of cars.

Ha! That they do!

Ask a Question