Do I need bottom drains?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would like my next pond to be set up much like my current one, with the waterfall spilling in a section with plants only, and then onto a main pond where the fish will be
I plan on purchasing a pond vacuum, that allows to either waste or return the water to the pond after filtration, and use it once a month, do I still need the bottom drains if I periodically vacuum the bottom?
I don't have a bottom drain in my pond and other than a handful of leaves I really don't get much debris, still I wanted to add 2 bottom drains when it was renovated, because they are recommended by many pond experts but the contractor talked us out of it, told us they get clogged, trap baby fish, leak and so on

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Most likely doesn't know how to install them. Sediment tank between bd. And filter should prevent that espicaly the fish part.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No bottom drains then! I'm glad that's settled!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I don't have a bottom drain in the bottom of the pond floor. But what I DO have and like VERY much is a drain at the bottom of my waterfall filter. Will you have a waterfall filter? A waterfall with a large reservoir? It fills up and spills over the top, with muck and gunk settling down at the bottom. There is a hole at the lower back with a heavy pipe leading out well away from the pond and into my garden. All buried within the waterfall hill. I have a little pull "gate valve" that I just walk over to periodically and open. I hear a satisfying glug glug noise and then a rush of water in the near distance. There is a short burst of STANK as the crud flows out into the garden. I let it run - usually for a count of 10 or 15. Sometimes I turn off the pump prior to opening the valve and I just let the waterfall filter empty completely. This is a wonderful, efficient, and very easy way to do small water changes. I love the way it works and makes for very simple maintenance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't have a bottom drain in the bottom of the pond floor. But what I DO have and like VERY much is a drain at the bottom of my waterfall filter. Will you have a waterfall filter? A waterfall with a large reservoir? It fills up and spills over the top, with muck and gunk settling down at the bottom. There is a hole at the lower back with a heavy pipe leading out well away from the pond and into my garden. All buried within the waterfall hill. I have a little pull "gate valve" that I just walk over to periodically and open. I hear a satisfying glug glug noise and then a rush of water in the near distance. There is a short burst of STANK as the crud flows out into the garden. I let it run - usually for a count of 10 or 15. Sometimes I turn off the pump prior to opening the valve and I just let the waterfall filter empty completely. This is a wonderful, efficient, and very easy way to do small water changes. I love the way it works and makes for very simple maintenance.
I don't have that in my existing pond, I've had it for 15yrs, I don't think they made waterfalls like that 15yrs ago, but I might have it in my new pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you are going to have koi in the pond that are going to be fed enough to grow large and you are going through the effort and expense of building a new pond, you should definitely install bottom drain(s). If it's more of a water garden or you are going to only keep small fish then it's probably not necessary.

If the contractor can't figure out how to install them, get a different contractor. I installed my two BDs by myself having never done it before. YouTube has plenty of great videos on how to do it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you are going to have koi in the pond that are going to be fed enough to grow large and you are going through the effort and expense of building a new pond, you should definitely install bottom drain(s). If it's more of a water garden or you are going to only keep small fish then it's probably not necessary.

If the contractor can't figure out how to install them, get a different contractor. I installed my two BDs by myself having never done it before. YouTube has plenty of great videos on how to do it.
How do one figure how many to put in:, by square footage or by volume?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
How do one figure how many to put in:, by square footage or by volume?

Generally I think it's square footage. My pond is roughly 10x14 and I have two 3" bottom drains. If it had been a little smaller I would have gone with one 4" BD.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Generally I think it's square footage. My pond is roughly 10x14 and I have two 3" bottom drains. If it had been a little smaller I would have gone with one 4" BD.
Can you please tell me more about your BDs?
Where does the water go once it goes through the BD? Do they clog? Trap fish?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haven't had bottom drains on any of my ponds. Never wished I had them after the fact.
I use a net to get anything off the bottom like leaves. Just net it once a year or so.
Gemma
I have no koi, shubunkins only, they don't grow as large as koi. I have never had koi, in any pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have 4 ponds 2 have bottom drains & skimmers . The other 2 have skimmers only .

The water looks the same in all the ponds when I look at them .

What I like about the bottom drain ponds . I can collect a coffee can full or more of muck every day , and take it out of the water column instead of letting it settle on the bottom of the pond it never stops pulling it out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a garden pond with koi - 4000 gallons, 8 good sized koi plus multitudes of goldfish - and no bottom drains. We've never felt the need to have them.

Ask a Question