Do I need bottom drains?

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by Gemma, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Gemma

gliebig

I have slotted pipe on the bottom of mine. I just don't trust bd's.

gliebig, Dec 7, 2017
    sissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

Jimmy Gibson

Personally I like my bottom drain, since I shaped my pond and sloped the whole pond to the bottom drain I have no problem with muck.....leaves and such on the bottom.....that being said if you plan on babies or small fish the bottom drain is a death trap......out of the 47 baby koi that I raised this year probably twice that many ended up in the pump prefilter......

Jimmy Gibson, Dec 7, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

sissy sissy

To me if a bottom drain is not done completely right it can pose more problems then you could imagine .I did not risk it ,liners are not cheap

sissy, Dec 7, 2017
    Gemma and Jimmy Gibson like this.
  4. Gemma

audioenvy

For a dedicated koi pond they are an absolute must. For a garden pond I totally get not wanting one.

audioenvy, Dec 7, 2017
  5. Gemma

sissy sissy

I have koi and no bottom drain and no skimmer and it does work for me .I use a pool net this way I can net gunk and put it in a bucket ,this way I do not kill any thing I do have 2 filters .

sissy, Dec 8, 2017
  6. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

But your pond is not a DKP. You have other species of fish and plants.

Meyer Jordan, Dec 8, 2017
  7. Gemma

sissy sissy

To me a dedicated koi pond is not healthy for the fish no matter what the say .The only other fish I have ar fancy tail and my butt wigglers .My fish are mutts so no fancy names to them .Poor fish in a dedicated koi pond are probably not really happy ,how could they be .It would be like have a fish tank with nothing in it but fish ,how boring for people and fish .Besides I have never seen a fish tank with nothing in it but fish .To me a pond without plants is water in a hole with fish

sissy, Dec 8, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  8. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Can't say that I disagree, but everyone has different tastes. Makes the world go 'round.

Meyer Jordan, Dec 8, 2017
    herzausstahl and sissy like this.
  9. Gemma

sissy sissy

True but still boring .The world needs more interesting things to make it brighter and happier and calmer

sissy, Dec 8, 2017
  10. Gemma

Lisak1

I'm with you @sissy - the poor fish just swimming in circles with nothing to keep them interested seems so sad. But maybe those fishy brains don't realize they are looking at the same four walls over and over and over again!

Lisak1, Dec 9, 2017
  11. Gemma

sissy sissy

I have friend here that has a big fish tank with nothing but fish in it and the poor fish swim like crazy to you when they see you looking in at them ,they look so happy to see you .That was the reason I said fish tank with nothing in it but fish .He says he does that so it is easier to clean .I don't think fish agree with him .

sissy, Dec 9, 2017
  12. Gemma

Jimmy Gibson

Just because you have a dedicated koi pond and a bottom drain doesn’t mean you can’t have plants.......had to thin mine out this summer, they were taking over the pond......although with Koi it is a challenge making your plants “Koi Proof”..... lol

Jimmy Gibson, Dec 9, 2017
  13. Gemma

sissy sissy

My koi used to destroy every thing but now that they are getting older it does not happen as much .But my aggie still kills frogs and sucks out the insides and i get the pleasure of scooping out the rest with having my morning coffee .Not fun :(

sissy, Dec 9, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  14. Gemma

Jimmy Gibson

As aggravating as Toad breeding season is...... I am looking forward to it.....I hate winter

15. Gemma

Lisak1

Most koi keepers would disagree with you @Jimmy Gibson . Go on any koi pond forum and talk about your plants in your pond... we'll help you reattach your head when you get back. :ROFLMAO:

Lisak1, Dec 9, 2017
    herzausstahl, sissy and Jimmy Gibson like this.
  16. Gemma

Jimmy Gibson

I never said it was easy..... but it can be done..... never did figure out how to keep them out of my Parrot feathers though

17. Gemma

Lisak1

Oh I don't disagree with you. But I can point you in the direction of people who will. Koi keepers who are in it for the fish won't have anything in the pond other than fish and water. Rocks and plants are an absolute no-no. But I love the eco-pond approach - fish, water, plants all working together.

Lisak1, Dec 10, 2017
    herzausstahl, sissy and Jimmy Gibson like this.
  18. Gemma

sissy sissy

Yep and those pond forums are mean and really don't have many posts on them because of that .That is also why a lot of people are turned off on forums .Lucky we are not like that .We survive with our ponds and maybe we make mistakes but we do not look down at new ponders ,we just try to help them succeed .We don't want them to mistakes we may have made and give up .

sissy, Dec 10, 2017
  19. Gemma

Mucky_Waters

Your death trap is not the bottom drain, but rather whatever it is you have plumbed after your bottom drain.
    My bottom drain is plumbed to a settling tank where often little fish and sometimes my frogs end up. They just hang out in the settling tank until I get around to netting them out. I had two little fry hanging out all summer, in fact, they are still in there.
    What sort of prefilter are you using and why?

My last pond that didn't have a bottom drain had a submerged type prefilter that prevented fish from getting sucked into the pump, I always had to fish that thing out of the pond and clean it. It was not an easy or enjoyable task. Also, I was relegated to netting the muck and mulm out of the bottom of my pond when it accumulated and I didn't like the way that stirred everything up in the pond and made the water dirt for a while. Conversely, I find pulling a lever and draining the accumulated sediment out of my settling tank like I do now is far simpler and has no effect on the clarity of the water in the pond.
    When I learned about pond drain systems I thought "that's the way to go", and now after having one I certainly don't regret it.

And I'm sorry, but the whole fear thing about not wanting to cut a hole in your liner to install a bottom drain is a bit ridiculous and not a very valid reason for not wanting to have a bottom drain. I'm not saying everyone has to have a bottom drain, there are plenty of other types of ways to plumb and filter your pond, but cutting the little round hole in the liner once you lay it over your bottom drain is a very simple task and should not dissuade someone from installing a bottom drain who might be thinking about installing one. Anybody who is able to take on post-toddler challenges from brushing their teeth to driving a car should have no problem successfully cutting that hole in the liner and installing the top cover of the bottom drain without screwing it up.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Mucky_Waters, Dec 10, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson and Meyer Jordan like this.
  20. Gemma

Mucky_Waters

Another point, I certainly don't have a bottom drain because I have a dedicated koi pond, I do have a few koi mutts but they are far outnumbered by my goldfish, minnows, frogs, and turtle. I like my bottom drain because it is so effective at removing all the dead plant and algae matter that sinks to the bottom of the pond. I have a lot of plants.

Mucky_Waters, Dec 10, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question