Do I need fish if I just want to run a Garden pond? Mosquito control?

Reaction score
Basic question regarding running a garden pond? Do I need fish? And if I don't have them what's going to be adding nutrients into the water or controlling the mosquito population?

I'm planning a medium pond, ~2000 Gallons. I don't really want fishes in it since I eventually plan on getting ducks and in a pond that small they'd just get devoured, that just feels kind of cruel.
I don't plan on getting the ducks soon either, I've got some trees/planting and I want them to grow into at least established bushes before the ducks start running through them... So maybe about a year?

I'm also worried about mosquitos laying in it, both ducks and fish eat the larvae but would they still lay in an unstocked pond if I have the water circulating 24/7 with a pump (It goes through a skimmer, solids filter, a bio-filter, then down a waterfall back into the pond)?
An option to solve this might be adding Minnows/mosquitofish/Ricefish and hoping they control it, but I don't think they'd produce any really significant bio-load so that only solves half my concern.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lots of variables here for sure.

Do you need fish in a garden pond? Well, no, but you'll need to feed your plants then, because as you mentioned - no fish, no fish poop, no food for plants.

But - you then said this is actually going to be a duck pond, which is a whole other animal. In my experience with wild ducks - especially one nesting PAIR OF MALLARDS that PLAGUE me every spring - the ducks don't bother the fish but they DESTROY the plants. So now you have to ask yourself if you want a GARDEN pond or a DUCK pond.

Will mosquitoes lay eggs in a pond with no fish? Sure. Will keeping the water moving help? Absolutely. Moving water is your best mosquito deterrent. And we hear often about mosquito fish to control mosquitoes - I've read in several places that goldfish are far better at eating mosquito larva than mosquito fish. Can't prove it either way, but I'd much rather look at a pond with goldfish in it, that's for sure! And I've also read that once you introduce mosquito fish to a pond, don't ever expect to get rid of them.

Good luck with your plan. I think you're putting the classic "cart before the horse" here in thinking about no fish and mosquitoes and what not - get that pond plan going and let's start there! You'd be amazed how many "I don't want fish" people become "I love my fish" people once they have water in a hole in the ground!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Lots of variables here for sure.

Do you need fish in a garden pond? Well, no, but you'll need to feed your plants then, because as you mentioned - no fish, no fish poop, no food for plants.

But - you then said this is actually going to be a duck pond, which is a whole other animal. In my experience with wild ducks - especially one nesting PAIR OF MALLARDS that PLAGUE me every spring - the ducks don't bother the fish but they DESTROY the plants. So now you have to ask yourself if you want a GARDEN pond or a DUCK pond.

Will mosquitoes lay eggs in a pond with no fish? Sure. Will keeping the water moving help? Absolutely. Moving water is your best mosquito deterrent. And we hear often about mosquito fish to control mosquitoes - I've read in several places that goldfish are far better at eating mosquito larva than mosquito fish. Can't prove it either way, but I'd much rather look at a pond with goldfish in it, that's for sure! And I've also read that once you introduce mosquito fish to a pond, don't ever expect to get rid of them.

Good luck with your plan. I think you're putting the classic "cart before the horse" here in thinking about no fish and mosquitoes and what not - get that pond plan going and let's start there! You'd be amazed how many "I don't want fish" people become "I love my fish" people once they have water in a hole in the ground!
Hahaha. I found that last bit a little bit funny! How do we become so enamored with an animal that you can't pet, train or cuddle on the couch? I try and deny that I am In Love with my fishes but I am most certainly Invested. After buying stock tank, pond supplies, then an aquarium etc....and so on...... etc etc. The only thing cheap about this hobby was the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Rosy red minnows are native to my area and I was able to order some (as feeder fish) from the pet store. They are super neat little fish and seem to do a wonderful job of getting the mosquito larvae. They are little and fast and can get into the very shallow, small nooks and crannies that my goldfish can't reach. I don't know where you are located but maybe finding some kind of native minnow for your area would be a good option.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put in over a hundred, years ago, they all poofed away. (rosy reds) With the frogs, toads, fish, dragon flies, etc we have zero mosquitoes. Even the cricket population has almost gone away. Our deck was black with them when we first bought the house. And a bunch made their way into the basement. Now none or at least very few. Hardly ever see them.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Would try it without fish, every place and area is different. If you find the mosquito population increases then you can consider adding fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you can consider adding fish
or increase the water flow , current is the best way to rid one of skeeters breeding.

I love white clouds in the aquarium. but in the pond after trying neon's and cardinals thinking they would show the best in a big area. the crazy little kids fish the Glow fish {DANIOS} which look so fake. I found to be perfect, the color allows you to see them and they love to school. and they dart all over the place. the orange were my favorite

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
or increase the water flow , current is the best way to rid one of skeeters breeding.

I love white clouds in the aquarium. but in the pond after trying neon's and cardinals thinking they would show the best in a big area. the crazy little kids fish the Glow fish {DANIOS} which look so fake. I found to be perfect, the color allows you to see them and they love to school. and they dart all over the place. the orange were my favorite
Tried a few hundred white cloud minnows in the pond this past spring, we’re supposed to be golden ones but got mostly regular ones. The definitely don’t stand out even the goldens were hard to spot.

Ask a Question