Do I need to disinfect the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My koi have koi pox. I can live with that as I know there is no treatment. I am looking to the future when they pass away (I know that they can live for many many years) and I want to start all over again with new fish. How do I prepare the pond? I expect that I would have to thoroughly drain and dry the pond, change all the internal filter elements, but what else should I do so the new fish I introduce will not get the pox? Should I use a strong cleaner to disinfect the pond? Any advise is appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, carp pox is just one of those things and theres not a great deal you can do about it, it normally shows up after autumn/spring and as the temperatures warm up it goes away, but as for eradicating it completely i dont think you can, hope that helps. cheers mark

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ditto what @yorkshire pudding said. Some goldfish fish and koi can have a genetic susceptibility to the virus and it will likely show up regardless of what you do — any new fish could be carrying it (even if you do a complete overhaul and cleaning). Unless the lesions in some way interfere with their life (like growing into gills, or mouths, making it hard for them to breathe or eat), your only real alternative is to cull each and every fish you spot with lesions. I have several goldfish with carp pox — unsightly, sure, but they live happily without any interference from me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What makes you so sure they have koi pox

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I have read, fish with koi pox can develop an immunity to it and after a few years it won't affect them and it will disappear.

Has anyone experienced that or is that a myth?

Ask a Question