Do I need to quarantine fish before adding them to a pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I buy new fish for my pond, should I be quarantining them before adding them to the pond? So far, I've just let them adjust to the temperature/water over the course of an hour in the bags from the aquatic shop, then added them to the pond.

Is it better if I keep them in a separate tank for a bit to see if they have any diseases?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, if your pond already has a fish population. If these are the first fish to be introduced to the pond, then No, quarantine is not necessary.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Agree with @sissy and @Meyer Jordan. There are people who don't quarantine and never have a problem, why take that chance. Everyone QT's differently, but in general, you'll want a separate tank/tote/something for this. You'll need good filtration an possibly frequent water changes unless you have an already-cycled system. Keep a close eye on your water parameters: ammonia, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want to save yourself from possible or should I say probable headaches you should definitely quarantine any new fish.

Not only does it ensure your current fish aren't exposed to parasites and/or bacteria it will cost you a lot less (if you end up needing to medicate for any illness or parasitic infections)

Most all folks who keep fish have added new fish to existing ponds/tanks at one time or another. And believe me when I say sooner or later you will regret not using a quarantine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
yes do so, i think actual time for quarantine is over 4 weeks , i do less just to observe them and see if they develop immunity against new environment , if they show any signs u can treat them or give them baths , its not necessary that they r sick from shop ,usually due to change of environment and stress of traveling some may get sick , u need to give them time to recover and adjust , add some pond water in there tank

Ask a Question