Do I need to rinse an EPDM liner before installation?

Olenka

Life is beautiful! Enjoy every moment
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi all!

We just finished building a new pond (no fish yet)
We did not rinse a liner before installation. Is it OK? If we have to change the water, please let me know.

Thank you!

P.S. Sorry for a stupid question! This is our first pond.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy
Thank you for your prompt respond!
I might be just a little bit paranoid. While moving boulders around the pond (the ones that hold the liner) I found a spot covered with white powder. It looks like latex. So, I assumed that there must be other "latex" spots all over the liner.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy
Thank you for your prompt respond!
I might be just a little bit paranoid. While moving boulders around the pond (the ones that hold the liner) I found a spot covered with white powder. It looks like latex. So, I assumed that there must be other "latex" spots all over the liner.
a little bit of stuff wont be a big deal, unless you are planning on keeping exquiite saltwater fish and corals :) but for goldifsh koi and plants and such it wont make a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
be sure you're versed in the nitrogen cycle for ponds and have enough patience (and plants!) when you get your first algal bloom, and don't overstock your pond on first blush.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
be sure you're versed in the nitrogen cycle for ponds and have enough patience (and plants!) when you get your first algal bloom, and don't overstock your pond on first blush.
Do you think I will get algae this year? Isn't it too late in the season? I doubt that my pond will go through a full cycle before next spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I didn't wash mine before installing and had no problems. I think that algae will still show up even as the temperatures go down. Good luck with the new pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you think I will get algae this year? Isn't it too late in the season? I doubt that my pond will go through a full cycle before next spring.
Depends on your weather but don't be surprised, nor be worried; it's typical and algae actually helps keep your fish alive while the pond is cycling. The same will probably happen next spring for you. The trick is to have a lot of plants and have them active before you really start feeding the fish next spring. Feed sparingly, especially if you have any algae growth (the good type) on the liner when spring arrives; the fish will nibble and be okay coming out of winter.

The reason I noted this is because it sort of sounded like you may get too many fish for your system and it's not even cycled yet, hence I worried you might have fatalities due to water conditions. Keep the quantity low and the fish will actually help with the cycling.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, I have a waterlily and lots of anacharis (bought 1 lb at eBay). Those were sitting in a big utility tote with water since Labor Day. Also, I have some bog plants. I got them last spring and planted in a smaller utility tote filled with water and mud. All that stuff (mud, plants, and water) went to my new pond. So, there is some bacteria breading in there already.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The reason I noted this is because it sort of sounded like you may get too many fish for your system and it's not even cycled yet, hence I worried you might have fatalities due to water conditions. Keep the quantity low and the fish will actually help with the cycling.
I was going to get 2 or 3 comets or shubunkins. I believe it would be enough for a 650 gal pond to keep the nitrogen cycle going and avoid a high ammonia spike.
My plan "B" is not to add any fish till next spring. In this case I would not remove any leaves from the pond this fall until the pond is settled.

Ask a Question