Do I replace my pressure filter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and thanks for reading.
My Jaobeo pressure filter/UVC recently broke and I would welcome advice as too wether I should replace or not?
Pond
11000 litres, natural pond under willow tree stocked with 3 Koi and 10 other smaller mixed fish.
Old set up prior to filter breaking.
Oase 16,000 litre pump fed Evolution Aqua 55 UVC,then the pressure filter, then a 3 tier Bakki shower and into pond.
Since the pressure filter broke ,its as above minus the filter.,
My questions and advice needed please.
1.Do I replace the filter in the old set up or leave without pressure filter.
2.If yes which filter should i replace with?
3.I have another 16000 litre pump, not being used, which i could run - second pump, new filter, water fall in parallel with current set up?
4. Is the Evolution Aqua in the right position, if i put in new pressure filter, should it come before or after pressure filter?
My objective is to have the clearest and best environment possible for the fish.
Thanks again for reading
Steve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot of people here have bogs for filtration and you will see that recommended frequently.

We have a set up like yours. Pressure filter to shower filter that feeds the waterfall. The casing on our pressure filter cracked a few years back and we replaced the filter tank with a larger one to increase the filtration. We didn't necessarily need more, but believe that there is no such thing as too much filtration.

Our pressure filter is a bead type, filled with K1 media. We bought a Hayward tank which is normally made for swimming pools. But the price was a fraction of any of the pond brand tanks and the tanks are identical and the tank was the only part we needed. But we did have to buy more mdia for the much larger tank.

This system works well for us and since we cover the pond in winter with a greenhouse, it never freezes and the filtration runs year round. We never have any spring start up issues because it doesn't go through that. It's always on.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, so you will get different opinions. Go with what you prefer and what will work well for your own pond. There is no right or wrong way, as long it works for you and your situation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks WaterGardener for your detailed reply.
It appears you have to order a Hayward tank from the USA.
In response to your comment "no such thing as over filtration" I think I will look for a replacement pressure filter but bigger.
Cheers
Steve

Ask a Question