Do koi do better with a cold water period?

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thinking of putting the 10x10 intex pool in the basement this winter instead of the garage. Garage I keep at 40F so they don't eat much at all. Would the koi do better eating all winter or do they need a cold water down time for best health? I think I read that they do better with a cold water period.
THks
Wayne

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome back @waynefrcan - long time no see! Winter must be coming if you're thinking about bringing in the fish.

I don't really know the answer to your question. I know your fellow Canadian @callingcolleen1 feels very strongly that koi do better when they get a nice cold winter so maybe she will chime in here.

What I do know is that lots of pond owners keep their koi in their cold ponds all winter long and they do great. That's not to say the reverse isn't also true. I don't know that we've heard anecdotally or otherwise from pond owners in warmer climates that their fish seem to suffer for lack of a cold period. I'm going to guess our fish adapt to their environment - Nature has her ways!

One thing I know for sure - I could definitely use a winter with less food! haha!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey there, @waynefrcan! I don’t know about fish (koi in particular), but my uneducated guess would be that a cold period is good for them. I’ll have to Google that. Interesting question! Here, in the Southern US, we don’t really have a “winter,” though the water temps do get below 50 degrees F. My first year with the pond, I had remote thermometers set up — out of curiosity. Had one probe at depth, and one probe a little below water level. That was probably the coldest “winter” my pond had seen. The temps were registering in the low 40’s.

I do know that a period of “hibernation” (called brumation) is critical for turtles. Just don’t know if that translates to fish.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Welcome back @waynefrcan - long time no see! Winter must be coming if you're thinking about bringing in the fish.

I don't really know the answer to your question. I know your fellow Canadian @callingcolleen1 feels very strongly that koi do better when they get a nice cold winter so maybe she will chime in here.

What I do know is that lots of pond owners keep their koi in their cold ponds all winter long and they do great. That's not to say the reverse isn't also true. I don't know that we've heard anecdotally or otherwise from pond owners in warmer climates that their fish seem to suffer for lack of a cold period. I'm going to guess our fish adapt to their environment - Nature has her ways!

One thing I know for sure - I could definitely use a winter with less food! haha!
You're so cute lol. I been on the fasting diet [The Obesity Code] that really works and yes i think we all in cold climates put on the pounds over winter.

Been busy with other things fish are doing good no losses but minor fungal issues.

I wish I could winter outside but unless you have the perfect water quality and o2 there is die off. Plus my Savio skimmer and waterfalls cracked in the winters with full pond.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hey there, @waynefrcan! I don’t know about fish (koi in particular), but my uneducated guess would be that a cold period is good for them. I’ll have to Google that. Interesting question! Here, in the Southern US, we don’t really have a “winter,” though the water temps do get below 50 degrees F. My first year with the pond, I had remote thermometers set up — out of curiosity. Had one probe at depth, and one probe a little below water level. That was probably the coldest “winter” my pond had seen. The temps were registering in the low 40’s.

I do know that a period of “hibernation” (called brumation) is critical for turtles. Just don’t know if that translates to fish.
Thanks, ya we really get hit here. -20 -25 C from November to February on average.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Koi are "Cold water fish" and there is no in-between. Either by the fish is "Tropical" or "Coldwater" fish. Coldwater fish such as trout or Whitefish taste much better in cold water. In the summer nobody eats Whitefish around here as they taste terrible and can have worms in summer unless they are in cold deep lake and not some warm slew water on the hot Prairie.
Koi also are "Cold-water" fish and do much better in ice cold running water in winter months. It keeps disease away and that's why my fish are never sick or diseased as you see in warmer places like the UK. Fish keepers in the UK think zero celsius is cold. They have no idea and they even heat the water during their very mild winters and hence they are experts in Koi fish disease because they all have to be, as the warm winters and hot summers promote fish disease. I only heat my ponds if temperature drops to -15 celsius or colder. Running ice cold water in your pond all winter will be ensure the water is fresh and clean and lots of oxygen. That is important as a stagnant cold frozen pond will smother the fish and they could die of lack of oxygen in winter. My top pond flows down to three other ponds, and the water flowing from pond to pond keeps natural ice holes open all winter. I do add one 1500 watt heater for all four connecting ponds (about 5000 gallons) and with a cold frame that keeps lots of ice down as we don't want to freeze fish in the ice either. There needs to be enough water under the ice too. Watch for evaporation and keep pond topped up during the winter. My Pond water all winter is barely above freezing, and freezing at water surfaces. My fish do awesome and are very healthy all year

Last edited:

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks Colleen you have had success with your methods. Cold water fungus is a problem that I have seen and most of my deaths were always after over wintering under the ice for 4 months. They have done well in the garage at 38 C the past 2 years so I will do the same. Most Koi will go in the garage tank 700 gal and the golds and a few koi in the basement intex pool. Thanks much.

Wayne

Ask a Question