Do koi fish change body shape when they grow?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Is it normal for koi fish to change its body shape as it increases in size? Because I see that juvenile koi area all torpedo shaped, while some adults (mostly large ones) have irregularities in their bodies, such as a large shoulder hump. Are they supposed to retain their overall torpedo shape or are they supposed to change shape?

Now, I am not a fan of shoulder humps on koi fish and would love to choose fish that would not have any. However, how do I know whether or not a juvenile will grow a hump or not?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm not sure what you mean by "shoulder hump", but female koi do get a wider body shape as they mature. The males retain the more slender lines.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Karashigoi22-3.jpg

The koi on top has a shoulder hump while the bottom one doesnt

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah! Gotcha! I think that's a genetic trait in some koi. I personally have never seen a koi with a hump that pronounced, but I've really only seen garden pond quality koi. Others here have better koi knowledge than me - maybe @CometKeith knows a bit more about this as he has recently been researching koi for his pond.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Ah! Gotcha! I think that's a genetic trait in some koi. I personally have never seen a koi with a hump that pronounced, but I've really only seen garden pond quality koi. Others here have better koi knowledge than me - maybe @CometKeith knows a bit more about this as he has recently been researching koi for his pond.
Would that be less desirable? :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've always wondered about that hump, I thought some types of koi developed that as they grew
Personally I do not like it, I hope none of mine will ever develop that hump, no matter if it is a good thing to some hobiest

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've always wondered about that hump, I thought some types of koi developed that as they grew
Personally I do not like it, I hope none of mine will ever develop that hump, no matter if it is a good thing to some hobiest

i agree i don't like the hunchback of notre dame look

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL! We do all have our personal preferences! I don’t like that look, either, but some covet it. I don’t know much about koi, but I think that the ones with this trait do “grow into it.” And, yes, their body shape will change — in general — as they mature. My advice would be to research your fish before you buy them. Look at their genetics. Choose fish NOT from these lines. Listen to my expert advice, LOL! Like I know what I’m talking about.

Reaction score
Country
United States
LOL! We do all have our personal preferences! I don’t like that look, either, but some covet it. I don’t know much about koi, but I think that the ones with this trait do “grow into it.” And, yes, their body shape will change — in general — as they mature. My advice would be to research your fish before you buy them. Look at their genetics. Choose fish NOT from these lines. Listen to my expert advice, LOL! Like I know what I’m talking about.

Make sense to me :)

Ask a Question