Do koi fish support each other? Do they have an alpha fish in the pond?

Reaction score
St. Lawrence River Valley, The Thousand Islands
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Around 2 1/2 years ago I purchased 20 small koi, around 3 inches long, and Introduced them into my pond. Almost all of the fish have thrived. Among them, one in particular was exceptionally docile and was the first to come up and eat from my hand. That fish grew to 20 inches — the largest of all.

Today I found that fish belly up, gasping for air. The other fish from the original group appeared to have gathered around it. It seemed to me that they knew the fish was in distress and were offering support. The fish did die. Are the other fish looking for it, or am I imagining this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koi are very passive I have had may species that would go after a new fish in the tank or just constantly attack the new or weaker fish. But not koi the only times I have ever witnessed aggression isat feeding time or Breeding time

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I don't think you are imagining it. It just happened in my pond that a small koi died. I found it in the inlet of the water pump. Her mother at the same time had an injury in her left pectoral fin that will probably affect her for life. We believe she was trying to help or at least concerned around.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@olbapnairda Hello and welcome! Why not go over to our “introductions“ topic and tell us about yourself and your pond.

Who knows what goes on in the brain of a fish…..but I seriously doubt that they have the capacity for empathy. It’s more likely curiosity as to “is it something I can eat,” or the herd behavior where the masses follow — whether or not this means there are alpha fish…..? Sounds like the makings of an interesting scientific experiment — maybe someone, somewhere has done this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With more preditory fish there's a size that relates to alpha.
But as mentioned about koi and passive fish don't seem to have much other than flight or feed. But when it comes to differences in personalities sure there can be huge differences.

Now Breeding in particular that's every man for him self . The females can realy get hammered at times.

I just had a gold fish that got way out of control he went on and on chasing the females. Whoops sorry the flower pots untill they were barely swimming and were rolling alittle a clear nuisances had to go .

I have other males they do there thing but that one was ridiculous. Was it an alpha na just a nuisance

Ask a Question