Do koi have teeth?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Don't think I've ever seen one but looked for teeth before! Now I know to be careful about letting fishies nibble on my fingers!
I was thinking the same thing!:D

Yay I learned something new!Thanks everyone! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Gemma we have a large collection of koi teeth around 20 at the last count.
Where can you find them , well I I hook them out of my prefilter every water change .
Where are the teeth in koi found well their teeth are situated at the back of the throat and are continually shed as the koi grows.
How to find them, if you dont have a filter system that has a pre filter try checking the bottom of your pond they look a little like white pebbles
The larger the koi grows the larger these teethgrow and with the largest koi they look remakably human in appearance see photos .

koi teeth.jpg

Goldfish Teeth.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't think I'd ever want to collect koi teeth, but after I got over the shock of finding out they do indeed have teeth , I was curious what they'd look like! Nice of you to post a picture! Thank you Dave! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think I'd ever want to collect koi teeth, but after I got over the shock of finding out they do indeed have teeth , I was curious what they'd look like! Nice of you to post a picture! Thank you Dave! :)
No problem(y)

Dave

Ask a Question