Do Koi have to winter over?

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Can you just keep the water heated and never have a cool season? Do they need this time? My understanding is that they kind of hibbernate in the winter but I would much rather have them year around lively? If you keep the water at a warmer temp will it just keep them acting normal and skip the whole winter routing? I live where the winters are fairly mild. So I would love to be able to see and enjoy them year around. Is there a problem with this?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
mine dont "hibernate" they winter in a 800 gal pond i have in the basement.. they dont go thru the stress of the long cold winters we have here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You live in a good place for koi.
If you can build a winter cover your pond should stay warm enough to feed a once or twice a week.
My pond in the winter is covered and the water temps stays right a 53 in Jan-Feb. In Feb. I fast them so they don't become egg bound.
FredrikAnderson said:
Can you just keep the water heated and never have a cool season? Do they need this time? My understanding is that they kind of hibbernate in the winter but I would much rather have them year around lively? If you keep the water at a warmer temp will it just keep them acting normal and skip the whole winter routing? I live where the winters are fairly mild. So I would love to be able to see and enjoy them year around. Is there a problem with this?

Ask a Question