Do snakes eat fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We got 2 goldfish for the pond and overnight 1 totally disappeared. The pond is in the garden and it's completely fenced in. Could possibly be aerial predator but then I was reading that garter snakes could possibly eat fish. Does anyone have any insight?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Could be anything, really. Wildlife (and stray cats) that eat fish naturally will try to catch goldfish too. Even bullfrogs have eaten my fish. Just part of having a pond in my opinion and not anything to be too concerned about. I think its good as a pond owner to accept that fish will occasionally be taken. In most cases, if you have a deep enough pond with plants and places to hide, fish will have a good chance of avoiding danger. I think addy has had an issue with a watersnake recently taking a lot of her fish if I remember right, but that seems pretty uncommon with garden ponds otherwise.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think addy has had an issue with a watersnake recently taking a lot of her fish if I remember right, but that seems pretty uncommon with garden ponds otherwise.
We have removed 14 northern water snakes (trapped, released in a farm pond) , 4 last year 10 this year. Yes they eat fish. Before them we have garter snakes, rat snakes , copperhead (only seen one) and never lost enough or any fish to notice.

The water snakes have removed a lot of fish and frogs from the ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been putting a cage on top over night and when I'm not around and I just came out to check the pond and Saw this!!!

I couldn't catch it, it's a fast little thing.

Attachments

• 20220728_112746.jpg
    20220728_112746.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220728_112749.jpg
    20220728_112749.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 83

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've been putting a cage on top over night and when I'm not around and I just came out to check the pond and Saw this!!!

I couldn't catch it, it's a fast little thing.
utoh looks like my northern water snakes. Get a minnow trap, put in some shrimp, chicken whatever and wait. I have removed 14 of them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have nothing against snakes but we had a total invasion of water snakes. Didn't kill them did a nice relocation to a big farm pond.

Ask a Question