Do water lilies bloom better with age?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! Here's a question...do water lilies bloom better the longer you have them, all else being equal? My indiana water lily has shot up a lot of pads this year, but relatively few flowers - so far only two (not counting the third that is currently on its way to the surface). I am assuming it will shoot up at least several additional blooms before the season ends, but it would be nice if it had a more constant stream of flowers next year. Thanks :)

(PS...if this helps, my water garden next year will most likely be a 40 gallon tuff stuff trough rather than the rope handle tub of this year, the lily will receive AT LEAST a 3 gallon pot of some kind rather than the 1.5 gallon oil pan it got this year, and it will be overwintered in my aquarium fridge and placed back outside in early April...the water garden is heated and will be set to 64 degrees at the start of April. The same heater will allow me to keep it out until the end of October, though since the sun is largely obstructed by the nearby trees at that time would there be much benefit to doing so?).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not that I've noticed. They bloom best when they are A. regularly sized down and replanted and B. well fertilized.

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not that I've noticed. They bloom best when they are A. regularly sized down and replanted and B. well fertilized.
Both should be easy for me...I have to replant the water lily every year anyway (I have to overwinter it in my fridge), and fertilizing it sufficiently is easily achieved (in fact, it appears I was doing so excessively until recently).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cut mine back heavily, when I do it, they grow great and flower great. The old tubers are just that old, they don't do much, the new growth does the growing and flowering.

Ask a Question