Do you drive a station wagon?

Reaction score
I had a dream station wagons were cool again. I recently commented to someone about driving a nice station wagon and they immediately corrected me that they drove an SUV. I made the comment to get their goat which I did. However in reality SUV's are station wagons are they not? Sure the auto industry likes to define features that separate different styles of cars like pillars or other non important things but don't forget that Madison avenue tried to save the Oldsmobile by saying "It's not your fathers car". Perhaps that is why they invented the name SUV. Can you imagine a string of black station wagons being driven by the Secret Service or a teenager driving the family station wagon. So an SUV doesn't look like a station wagon. Does it have a door on the back that lifts up? Does it have a trunk? Does it have space behind the rear seat? Can you haul a lot of stuff in it? Is it more rugged than a sedan? A rose by any other name is a rose. A sedan has 4 doors, a coupe has two doors, a convertible the top goes down and a van (or mini bus) think VW has lots of room and, well looks like a van or bus. I can't think of any other car designs and these classifications have been around since the beginning of the 20th century. Ward and June Cleaver's station wagon is alive and well in the 21st century. Don't tell anyone they have a station wagon they will deny it.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
tried to save the Oldsmobile by saying "It's not your fathers car".

In my case, it literally was.

However in reality SUV's are station wagons are they not?

No. At least not as far as I'm concerned. Station wagons were all about fitting as many people in them as possible. I remember my dad's having the front seats, middle seat, and a back seat. They were long, wide cars for oversized families. The SUV interiors that I've seen don't have a third seat because the back end is reserved for hauling things. SUV's are also taller, some even looking closer to trucks than cars. Really, they're all different shapes and sizes, but don't really remind me of a station wagon in any way.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So I guess this is a forum of Subaru owners! :ROFLMAO:

My aunt just bought a 2018 Subaru Outback. Looks nice. Her husband owns a Subaru Impreza wrx, one of the early 2000's nice models before they got ugly (in my opinion).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Wow this brings back memories. My dad had a mid 70's Chevy impala station wagon. Learned how to drive in that beast. It was used to haul merchandise for my dad's business and I spent many hours loading and unloading.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
East side seirra's 4500' high desert. Gets to 20's some teens.
Country
United States
Our "truck" is an 02 Passat wagon V6-AWD 212,000 miles. I put a roof rack on it to improve it's capacity.
It's like our old Subaru, just better. Wagons RULE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
dodge guy. 01 dodge dakota sport first vehicle, 09 dodge caliber , 15 jeep patriot. station wagon is not a suv. my patriot is a a suv.

Reaction score
dodge guy. 01 dodge dakota sport first vehicle, 09 dodge caliber , 15 jeep patriot. station wagon is not a suv. my patriot is a a suv.
I don't know a 2015 patriot looks a lot like a station wagon to me :)
images

images
9650313-1991-jeep-wagoneer-thumb-c.jpg
images

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My sisters, brothers and I were hauled around in this: a 1972 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser, complete with wood paneling and a rear-facing third row of "Naugahyde" bench seats... Definitely a station wagon.
IMG_4719.JPG

I believe today's modern-day station wagon is the "crossover" vehicle. Just about every major auto maker builds a version. Our latest is a Mazda CX-9. It has three rows of seating, like Dad's old V8, just flashier, with modern bells and whistles:
IMG_4361.JPG

Ask a Question