Do you grow Calla Lily in the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had no idea Calla Lily can be grown as water plant!
I got myself one, but now I don't know what to do....should I put it in the pond without a pot ( like I do with Cannas), or does it grow better contained? The pot seems so small to me (4" wide 6"high), but I'm not sure what growth I can expect since Google search gave me zero conclusion, as usual
Does it flower all Summer long?
Any feedback on this plant will be appreciated
Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My boxer ate part of a cala lily when he was a puppy. He ended up very sick and hospitalized for a few days. I didn't know they were toxic to dogs when I bought them.

Anyway my point is that I would do a search to see if they are toxic to fish. You may just want to display them in a pot near the pond. Just to be safe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Gemma I've put CANNA lilies in the bog and/or pond every year. But I have read anecdotally of people putting in callas and their fish dying. I've also read that calla lilies don't like to be in water, so maybe there's some confusion out there.

When I plant CANNAS I put them directly in the gravel in the bog, but keep the crown above water. In the pond I put them into a larger pot with gravel and do the same. They are so pretty and flower most of the summer!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There is a variety of calla lily that is a bog plant. It has huge white flowers. I had one a few years ago but it didn't winter over. I believe it considered tropical. It is in Trickers Water garden catalogue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I knew about being toxic(or even fatal) if ingested, I thought it'd be ok to have since my dogs don't have access to the pond (invisible fence) and if sold as bog plant should be safe for fish....but , after reading your replys I'm not so sure, and I am NOT willing to take a chance on my fish so..bye bye Calla!

Thank you, everyone! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't mean to scare you Gemma, just wanted to share what happened with my dog.

Remember though that just because a store (pet/aquarium/pond) are there to sell and make money. They don't always have the best interest of the fish in mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had one calla I’d did not do well in the pond. Once I potted it and brought into the house an put it on a sunny window sill it did great. It still did not come back in the spring. It did have large white blooms while it lasted

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I didn't mean to scare you Gemma, just wanted to share what happened with my dog.

Remember though that just because a store (pet/aquarium/pond) are there to sell and make money. They don't always have the best interest of the fish in mind.
The Calla's history, what about Cardinal Lobelia, can I trust it in the pond? I read that it is toxic if consumed in large quantities

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had one calla I’d did not do well in the pond. Once I potted it and brought into the house an put it on a sunny window sill it did great. It still did not come back in the spring. It did have large white blooms while it lasted
Unfortunately I can't have a toxic plant in the house, I threw mine out:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
20180517_165835.jpg
[ATTACH=f

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I have 4 calla lilies in my pond. Three in the bog and one in a planter in the pond. They seem to do better in soil.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I have a cat that goes in the back yard, but he never comes near the pond. He reeeally hates water. He has his own planter full of cat grass that he visits daily but never bothers anything else.
My goldfish don't bother plants either. I had my first calla in the pond with it's roots exposed and never had any problems. The plant didn't seem to thrive in just gravel. I changed my planters in the pond to a clay soil below the water line with regular soil above the water line. The planter is made out of weed barrier, which is the same material that cloth pond pots are made from. All of my plants to include the calla like this better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
A few years ago I put a calla in my old pond. Kept it in a pot and it languished and eventually died. When tossing it I noticed the roots looked rotted and nasty.

This year I put one in my new pond and just stuck it in between some rocks making sure just the roots were covered...and it’s doing much much much better than the other one.

Ask a Question