Do you grow Sun Inpatients in the pond/stream?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just bought a few Sun Inpatients to try in the plants pond, what do I do now?
should I put them in the water in the 4" pot, or change to a larger pot, or bare roots?
How deep should they be in the water?

Thank you!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good questions! I have tried them bare-root, but could never seem to get the dept right — mostly due to the way my borders are constructed and there wasn’t a convenient place to put them. The roots need to have contact with water, though not necessarily submerged. Too deep in the water wasn’t good. It’s sort of trial and error. If you have the space, maybe repotting into a larger pot.....? Unfortunately, gardening (of any kind) isn’t my forte. I saw a post on another forum a few years ago about this — and her flowers were knockout gorgeous! It might have been on KOIPHEN, but I could never find the post when I tried to go back and see what she did. Have you tried a Google search?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good questions! I have tried them bare-root, but could never seem to get the dept right — mostly due to the way my borders are constructed and there wasn’t a convenient place to put them. The roots need to have contact with water, though not necessarily submerged. Too deep in the water wasn’t good. It’s sort of trial and error. If you have the space, maybe repotting into a larger pot.....? Unfortunately, gardening (of any kind) isn’t my forte. I saw a post on another forum a few years ago about this — and her flowers were knockout gorgeous! It might have been on KOIPHEN, but I could never find the post when I tried to go back and see what she did. Have you tried a Google search?
Thanks @Mmathis I thought about Google, but only as the last option due to the fact that most of my searches end up inconclusive...like this morning, I was trying to figure out if the half brown and half green frog was a bull frog frog..an hour of searching and I still have no clue.
I guess I can re-pot one into a larger size pot and put it half of the height under water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I grew them one summer in a floating net :) They were beautiful, but I no longer have floating nets in the pond after finding my koi in them twice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I planted some, just depotted them, shook some of the dirt off, plopped them in the water. I didn't pay much attention to depth, they grew well. If I recall right they were not that deep. Roots submerged, crown, some in the water some out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We grow impatiens in our waterfall every year. The love to be where their "feet" can be wet. We tuck them between rocks in our waterfalls.That's two plants on the right and a third on the left. These aren't Sun Impatiens (that's a trademarked plant) though - these are the regular impatiens.

This is the only way I would grow impatiens in the full sun - they get constant watering, which is about what they require!

This was two years ago - last year we had a problem with mildew that killed all my impatiens literally overnight.

Impatiens.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
We grow impatiens in our waterfall every year. The love to be where their "feet" can be wet. We tuck them between rocks in our waterfalls.That's two plants on the right and a third on the left. These aren't Sun Impatiens (that's a trademarked plant) though - these are the regular impatiens.

This is the only way I would grow impatiens in the full sun - they get constant watering, which is about what they require!

This was two years ago - last year we had a problem with mildew that killed all my impatiens literally overnight.

View attachment 111243

This.

Ask a Question