Do you have a ID picture of parasites and diseases?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello from UK :)

Sad to report I lost 3 old shubunkins in the last 48 hours and trying to find out the cause.
Netting out the dead fish, i decided to inspect and could see all 3 had brown/green fungus around the gills. First thought it algae but seems to be thick and all 3 fish had around/about the gills section.

I believe this is gill parasite that's affected the 3 fish but finding it hard to determine as unable to locate any pics on the internet that match up.

Do you have any ID databases for diseases by any chance?

As for the issue, I have ordered some anti-fungal remedy for the pond as seem a couple of other fish not as active as normal.

As for the disease, not sure how entered but could be due to the extreme hot weather we experienced recently that caused algae to grow in pond.
Today has been clean the filter and remove as much algae in pond as possible using pond brush.

Plan is to dose anti-fungal remedy first and 24/48 hours after, dose some pond water cleaner.

As for my parameters, I only have those test strips that read out in one go and I know not exactly ideal but all I have for now.

Any suggestions on the cause of the issue would be helpful.

My build thread if of any use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not sure if there's a list like that, but it certainly would be a great reference, especially if accompanied with pictures. I'm surprised you couldn't find that information on the web.
Maybe someone can create a sticky...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Hi there
your description does not really make me think it is parasites and none of your proposed treatments have anything to do with parasites. If it were parasites (gill parasites) you should be able to see red inflammation of the gills. What you are describing could be bacterial infection or fungal but without a photo it would be hard for any of us to identify the problem. A photo would be useful for us. I am not sure I would use antifungal stuff yet! Does not really sound like fungus to me. also the algae is possibly helping the fish at the moment. The algae is using up the nitrates in the pond that would kill the fish if they got too high. Photo would help a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
your description does not really make me think it is parasites and none of your proposed treatments have anything to do with parasites. If it were parasites (gill parasites) you should be able to see red inflammation of the gills. What you are describing could be bacterial infection or fungal but without a photo it would be hard for any of us to identify the problem. A photo would be useful for us. I am not sure I would use antifungal stuff yet! Does not really sound like fungus to me. also the algae is possibly helping the fish at the moment. The algae is using up the nitrates in the pond that would kill the fish if they got too high. Photo would help a lot.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sadly the deceased fish is no longer available so if I have another casualty, will take a pic of the area and post up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sad to report one fish has been lethargic in my pond even after treating with anti fungal medicine so decided to take a close look.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING PICS ARE DISTRESSING!
Fish swimming still but in one place as seems to be blinded on one side. I'm very sad to see this in my pond and not sure if related to bad water quality (recent tests doesn't seem to show this) or just this fish has been injured :(

DSC_1887.JPG
DSC_1886.JPG
DSC_1885.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Sad to report one fish has been lethargic in my pond even after treating with anti fungal medicine so decided to take a close look.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING PICS ARE DISTRESSING!
Fish swimming still but in one place as seems to be blinded on one side. I'm very sad to see this in my pond and not sure if related to bad water quality (recent tests doesn't seem to show this) or just this fish has been injured :(

View attachment 123825View attachment 123826View attachment 123827
Gee that looks pretty serious. Is only 1 like that? Did the original one that died look like that as well? It looks more bacterial than fungal to me. Also the distortion of the mouth would have taken time to develop as well. Do any others have that sort of distortion on the mouth? fungal cures don't help bacterial problems. Also if it is fungal the stuff you put in the pond would not cure it quickly. Lastly this fish should be removed from the pond now and put in isolation.
Ray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gee that looks pretty serious. Is only 1 like that? Did the original one that died look like that as well? It looks more bacterial than fungal to me. Also the distortion of the mouth would have taken time to develop as well. Do any others have that sort of distortion on the mouth? fungal cures don't help bacterial problems. Also if it is fungal the stuff you put in the pond would not cure it quickly. Lastly this fish should be removed from the pond now and put in isolation.
Ray
Only the one fish like this as all others seem to be swimming around as normal.
Others that died didn't have any deformities or cloudy eyes, just green mould over the gills.

How's best to setup an isolation tank for this poor fish? would i need any additional hardware?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Only the one fish like this as all others seem to be swimming around as normal.
Others that died didn't have any deformities or cloudy eyes, just green mould over the gills.

How's best to setup an isolation tank for this poor fish? would i need any additional hardware?

Thanks.
if you have a kiddie pool or something like that it works best for isolation. They can still swim. if the pool is big enough it should be ok without any pumps etc as you wont be feeding it until it starts to perk up. Isolation is so that whatever it has wont infect others. If you live near a pet shop I would take your photos there and get their opinion. But it is probably unrelated to the other death. Also in a kiddie pool you can medicate the sick fish easier. Put a net over it so that birds cant get the fish.

Ray

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That looks like mouth rot. Bacterial infection, but there could still be parasites at the root of the problem. Are you treating for parasites?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That looks like mouth rot. Bacterial infection, but there could still be parasites at the root of the problem. Are you treating for parasites?

I've asked around and what I'm adding to the pond atm should cover fungus and parasites but since only started yesterday on dosing, may be a while (up to 7 days) before chemicals work. I'm sad this fish has got to the state it is and don't think anything can be done to recover the mouth.
Going to see what I can find to place in holding tank for this little fella and see if it makes it.

As a worst case scenario, I don't want it to go further with any more pain, what would be the humane way to put it out of it's misery? Not something I'm considering yet but if it doesn't get any better, want to make sure I do the right thing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, latest update is fish now moved in to a holding glass cookie jar that holds about 8 litres of water as only thing I could find in garage.
Added a couple of stones and fish seems to be swimming about more actively compared to when in pond.
Cookie jar in garage for now as don't want to leave outside for some rodent to take away.

I added couple of drops of the anti-fungus remedy to the jar also and will wait to see if any improvements in next few days/weeks.

Keep you posted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
OK, latest update is fish now moved in to a holding glass cookie jar that holds about 8 litres of water as only thing I could find in garage.
Added a couple of stones and fish seems to be swimming about more actively compared to when in pond.
Cookie jar in garage for now as don't want to leave outside for some rodent to take away.

I added couple of drops of the anti-fungus remedy to the jar also and will wait to see if any improvements in next few days/weeks.

Keep you posted.
a cookie jar will get oxygen deprived pretty quickly and nitrates will build up quickly. how about if you put 8 litres of fresh pond water in each morning and each evening. That will keep the water normal for it. In terms of humane killing of the fish (if it came to that) then putting it in the fridge freezer in a jar of water will be very humane. They are cold blooded so will slowly go to sleep and then die. Hopefully it does not come to that.

Ray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a cookie jar will get oxygen deprived pretty quickly and nitrates will build up quickly. how about if you put 8 litres of fresh pond water in each morning and each evening. That will keep the water normal for it. In terms of humane killing of the fish (if it came to that) then putting it in the fridge freezer in a jar of water will be very humane. They are cold blooded so will slowly go to sleep and then die. Hopefully it does not come to that.

Ray

Just had a scrummage in my back garage and managed to find a 60 litre plastic tub that should do the trick (see below)

1565681763057.png

Adding an air stone with pump just to provide adequate oxygen and will cover with netting on top when left outside.
Hopefully goldfish will be more than comfortable with this setup.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Clove oil is a much kinder way to euthanize a fish than freezing it. (I think tropical fish are the exception - cold water fish can live much longer in much colder temperatures.) A few drops will act as an anesthesia; the right amount will put the fish out of its misery.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just hope it doesn't come to this but the fish with right side missing as well as not able to feed, may not last long.
Doing what I can for now.

Ask a Question