Do You Have Flood Insurance ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Because I have a natural body of water on property my mortgage company makes me carry Flood insurance. Because I did not bother to they purchased a policy for me. Policy is a joke nothing but building is covered. A very small creek runs about 8 feet from house ( grandfathered never allowed today) No way unless it rains for 40 days and nights can this creek damage building, but it can overflow banks and cause water damage to furniture in a once every 100 year flood. Does anyone have flood insurance that covers interior furnishing or is regular home owner suppose to cover that ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Every house I owned in NJ had to have flood insurance and no water with in miles of the house but they said since the first house was in a congested area I had to have in .Houses there were all on small lots in Iselin and then house in Edison was because it was on the low side of all the lots .Here in VA I had the option since I was up on a hill and it also covers things like backed up toilets and dishwasher leaking ,hot water leak or burst pipes .It is only 25 dollars a year so why not .The you never know can happen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine covers none of that and is over $400 a year. Can I ask what company your insurance is with ?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No flood insurance here. If we flood, I expect to see Noah's Arc right after that. We do, however, have earthquake insurance, and, while I can't remember how much it is a year, I think it is only about $30 to $40.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have Breathern out of Baltimore Maryland .Home owners and car insurance from them plus towing and labor on my 3 cars for 68 dollars a year .Last time hubby's truck was towed they paid almost all of the repair bill except for 25 dollars and it was over 6 hundred dollars and towing was 75 dollars and they paid .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
homeowners is is 450 a year for full coverage 300 thousand on house and another 250 thousand on contents and auto just went up to 690 dollars because of new car it was 390 dollars before that .They are like farm insurance and only sell in certain states

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow going to check them out. Only deal I get is on antique truck $159 a year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Must be NY when I went to Breathern I filled out info forum for quote. Over $500 for cheapest coverage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Flood insurance I don't worry about because if I get flooded better be looking for Noah Jr...... Earthquake insurance..... Since I live on the New Madrid fault I refuse to pay the price they want...... I figured it this way, if the big one comes and Sarah and I survived it, I am sure the government will come in and help me out..... Yeah right..... Taking my chances on the big one..... Lol Jimmy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could be because rates would be higher in more populated places and maybe more of a risk also

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was not much better in NJ .I had an acre of land with a house before I retired here and taxes there 11 thousand a year taxes here 3+ acres and around a thousand a year .Other house in Pittsville VA almost 12 acres and it is 422 dollars a year .Just got my tax bills

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's why we moved to the Poconos (22 years ago today!). We couldn't afford a house or taxes in NY or NJ. Up here, both were low...not anymore. This area has grown so congested since we moved up here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only reason my taxes went up is because of improvements and size of house .My house is the largest house in the development and is listed as a view lot .It started out being taxed at a little over 400 dollars .But then guest house ,2 decks and deck on guest house and then 100 foot long front covered porch and then carport made it all go up .Sad you make it look good and they tax you .When I moved here I had a house and dirt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is todays quote
upload_2017-6-30_14-26-50.png

Ask a Question