Do you have rocks at the bottom of your pond?

Reaction score
I have always had a rock bottom. But I have also read this is a bad thing for the fish. Since I am doing a new pond, what do you think? Rocks or no rocks?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The look of rocks is really nice, but once the junk collects on them you usually can't even see them. With rocks you need to really work at keeping them clean.

The liner will look natural when some algae grows on it.

So no rocks, even tho I love rocks! lol keep them on the outside of your pond only.

Reaction score
Thank you all. No rocks for me. I have so much to catch up on. When I started building my old pond 8+ years ago, the things done then is not done now. Boy do I have alot of reading to do.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good choice on deciding on no rocks. It's like an aquarium where the gunk builds up but w/ the aquarium it is easier to siphon it out w/ the tiny gravel but in the pond too much trouble and back aches with the larger rocks. Ammonia builds up and chemistry goes crazy and you get a headache trying to remove all those lovely rocks
smiley-shocked028.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We all learn as we go, and with each new pond we learn more. They are never the same.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Every time you power wash, you remove the eco system that has been established that is beneficial to your Koi's health.
Are the rocks more important than that?

Reaction score
I had no idea. Thank you. I have been lowering, turning the rocks. Now that my pond has set for a few months with no good cleaning or caring it sure was nasty when we went to get the fish.

I can see what you are talking about. And I always thought it was part of what happens! My life will be so much easier.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That bad smell when you disturb the bottom, where there is rocks, gravel or sand is hydrogen sulphide gas. In other words... septic.

Reaction score
so in other words you should have rocks ???? cause i always wanted them but my dad said it will be harder to clean but hey i clean it soo.......lol you know what im thinking

~marino~

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pay attention son, no rocks in the bottom.... Septic is bad.
Filtration
Circulation
Areation
All good.
Nothing on the bottom except what grows naturally...

Ask a Question