Do you keep fish that most wouldn't consider typical pond fish?

Reaction score
I have always been interested in making a pond have more variety than the typical goldfish/koi. So I was curious what kinds of fish people have in their ponds that most people would not normally consider. So what fish do you have?

Some examples that I have heard:

Mollies
Oscars
Pumpkin Seed Sunfish
Sturgeon
Paradise fish (Look like gouramies)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I keep Koi, Goldfish,dalmation lyretail mollies, and neon Longfin rosy barbs. I have also kept Electric blue Ahli, Demonsi, and Daffodil Brichard African cichlids during the summer in the past( BTW, WITH GOLDFISH, and they breed and didn't harm the goldfish!). Other fish I have kept that I really enjoyed are white clouds, Dwarf sunfish, Golden cochahoes, Paradise Gourami, and Odessa barbs.
Trying to think of another small species to try next year in tub gardens. I'm really having fun with these small aquatic gardens but keeping one or two fish in each on for mosquito contol has become somewhat challenging. I need something small that isn't a prolific breeder, that can handle a large swing in temp. ranges, and can't be over brightly colored as the brighter the fish the more they attract prey. Trying to locate the smallest livebearer the Least Killifish (Heterandria formosa) to give a try. I had them once many years ago and I'd love to try some of these little natives again. They are actually suppose to be common and local to my area but so far I haven't located any but the hunt is on.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Larkin; I've kept many a tropical fish over the last 50+ years, and know most of those in the trade, but what is a Golden Cochahoe??? John

Reaction score
I keep Koi, Goldfish,dalmation lyretail mollies, and neon Longfin rosy barbs. I have also kept Electric blue Ahli, Demonsi, and Daffodil Brichard African cichlids during the summer in the past( BTW, WITH GOLDFISH, and they breed and didn't harm the goldfish!). Other fish I have kept that I really enjoyed are white clouds, Dwarf sunfish, Golden cochahoes, Paradise Gourami, and Odessa barbs.
Trying to think of another small species to try next year in tub gardens. I'm really having fun with these small aquatic gardens but keeping one or two fish in each on for mosquito contol has become somewhat challenging. I need something small that isn't a prolific breeder, that can handle a large swing in temp. ranges, and can't be over brightly colored as the brighter the fish the more they attract prey. Trying to locate the smallest livebearer the Least Killifish (Heterandria formosa) to give a try. I had them once many years ago and I'd love to try some of these little natives again. They are actually suppose to be common and local to my area but so far I haven't located any but the hunt is on.

That's quite an assortment! I am hoping to try some of those out for my smaller pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yep, that's them, a brackish water minnow used commonly used for bait. I bought a dozen or so to go fishing with, the ones that were left over I placed in the pond. cool fish and they will put on a show. I just found out recently that minnowman,was breeding these and supplying bait house with them.

Ask a Question