DO YOU LIVE IN ARKANSAS or OKALAHOMA?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:) Looking for nice, family-level rivers for Boy Scout float trip; maybe dam-fed? :)

Reason for question: ForEVER, our Boy Scout troop [Shreveport, LA] has taken a yearly "family float trip" on the Caddo River [around Caddo Gap, AR]. By family, I mean it's a camping and canoe trip that we invite our scouting families on, so there might be small children, older folks [:)], some who have never been on the water, as well as Boy Scouts of all ages & experience levels.

For the past 4 or 5 years, the Caddo River has just been too low and we really haven't had the good time we've hoped for. We plan our trip in May, and there's a very small window for us as it's close to the end of school and Memorial W/End (NEVER go there on Mem. Day W/E!!!!!).

We have heard there are some nice dam-fed rivers [= hopefully, consistent water flow] either in AR and/or OK, and looking for first [or second] hand info. And dam-fed isn't absolute, if it's a location with a record for consistent water.

REQUIREMENTS: 1 - needs to be within reasonable distance drive from NW LA (say no more than a 5 hour drive....) 2 - our trip is USUALLY in May 3 - some kind of camping facilities 4 - "fun" water, but nothing that a novice couldn't handle 5 - outfitter nearby for rental, drop-off & pick-up.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
TM something to check out is an app I use on my iphone to find launch sites for kayakers and canoers. It is called "launch sites" and was free. Anyway you can do a search and it will tell you where approved launch sites are, gives you general info, facilities, fees, etc. Not sure if it will tell you that there is an outfitter on the river or not this might help you at least start looking.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Tmann, I'll check that out. Had gone to an Arkansas site a while back and was overwhelmed to the point that what I really needed was first-hand [from actual experience at the places] info. But any help narrowing the choices down will be great! We have plenty of time until next spring.

People from OK, I just realized I spelled "Oklahoma" wrong in my title -- sorry about that! :redface:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My wife and i had good times on the spring river in Arkansas
they do have campsites and cabins
they rent the canoes and haul you up river so you can float back to camp

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Maybe delete Sissy's post as well? It doesn't sound good, at least not out of context! :question:
John

Ask a Question