DO YOU LIVE IN MICHIGAN?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never been there, but will be making a brief visit end of July/first of August. I will be with the Boy Scout Order of the Arrow contingent from our area, attending the NOAC conference at Michigan State University (my first time for that, too!). And yes, ladies CAN be very active & involved in Scouting -- I think I enjoy it more than my son does, LOL!!

Just curious what East Lansing is like. What's the weather/general climate like? What about the humidity level? We're staying in the dorms and I've been told that the air conditioning won't be on as it's break-time for students. Where I live (LA), you almost die if you don't have AC, esp. at night, so I'm planning to pack a battery-operated "camp" fan.

Unfortunately, won't have the luxury of sight-seeing, shopping, or any other touristy things. I would love to take a few extra days, but have to stay with and travel with my group.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not in Michigan, but just south of there in Indiana. My parents and some friends live in Michigan too. It won't be nearly as bad as what you are used to in Louisianna, but come end of July it will most likely be pretty hot up there. There is some humidity, but it won't be like the southern states where you walk outside and instantly start sweating. Since Lansing is a little further norther I would estimate that time of year to probably be around high 80's low 90's and I would definitely bring a fan if you aren't going to have AC! On the plus side though the nights should be cooler, probably in the 70's. Have fun at your conference!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Jen, thanks! Sounds like you've been in "the south" before :) Heat, I can tolerate. It's the humidity that makes all the difference in the world! And it seems like you just can't take in enough fluids to catch up (and my Hubby wonders why I like pickles...)

I'm excited about the trip!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tm if you select the members tab in between the forum and gallery, then select the more search options you can scroll down and type in Michigan in the location and it will pull up all members who have listed that location.

Koiguy is from michigan you can always pm him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey, TM, I hail from the mitten state...ah, end of July beginning of August, huh? Not the best time to visit as that's right in the heart of our hottest months, sometimes driest, too. We do get a lot of humidity, but there's a saying here; if you don't like the weather, wait a minute and it'll change. So, what that means is, though I'm giving you typical summer July/Aug weather, it can be variable. This weekend, we're expecting high 80s and low 90s, probably a bit early for that but there you have it. I'd plan on hot and humid, with the chance of an afternoon thundershower (humidity builds and then about 4 p.m. or so, it drops in a mini storm for about 30 minutes and then the sun comes back out; go figure). I'm a landscaper and weather and I are close pals, so take my advice as you will. If you don't have AC, best plan on either bringing or buying an oscillating fan--you'll be grateful you did.

Btw, you can input the zip code for East Lansing, Mi into something like the weatherchannel (do it a week or two before you come) and it will tell you, more or less, what you can expect re weather. I don't ever take what they tell me as gospel, though; if I did, I'd not be working half the time. Storms/rain in July/Aug is never of a day long variety and often skipped altogether. And don't let anyone tell you we don't have humidity here--we do. See all that blue stuff surrounding Michigan on the maps? Well, it doesn't always like to stay on the ground, ya know?

Michael

Reaction score
agreed, not from michigan am on east coast and weather can be so unpredictable.. but good advise to check weather about a week before leaving as those lovely high and low pressure systems are the barometer to weather everywhere

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Jen, thanks! Sounds like you've been in "the south" before :) Heat, I can tolerate. It's the humidity that makes all the difference in the world! And it seems like you just can't take in enough fluids to catch up (and my Hubby wonders why I like pickles...)

I'm excited about the trip!
Yep, lived in Georgia, family is from Kentucky. And I wasn't trying to say there isn't humidity up here, just not as bad as down south. I've been to Myrtle Beach in July and it is so humid outside that when you step outside it's difficult to breathe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah, July is not the best time to go there I don't think. But I had won that trip and didn't have a choice in the dates available. I didn't figure the heat would bother me, but whew, we stayed in during the days lol!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, all! Looks like we'll be flying in to & departing Detroit -- more cost effective to do the tickets that way -- then shuttling to Lansing. Packing my fans and extra batteries & preparing for either overweight or extra baggage fees. My son (almost 17 and a "LIFE" Scout -- almost an EAGLE! :) ) and I are traveling with our group, so at least we can distribute and share packing space.

It's interesting (?) how air fares go: it's cheaper for us to drive 3 hours from Shreveport to DFW and fly out of DFW. And sometimes that cost difference is VERY significant, as in almost 1/2 of the overall ticket price. That's even factoring in the cost of a possible hotel room (when it would be impractical to drive, like very early AM) and/or parking fee. So sometimes we are trying to balance the difference between the convenience of leaving & returning to our own airport vs. the extra cost & hassle of driving 3 hours there & back!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just a tip TM. I found that you can take a pillow w/you on the planes at no extra charge.............at least on Alaska airlines you can. So I took out the insides of the zipped pillow cover and stuffed my extra clothes and soft things in there,zipped it up and put a pillow case on it and took it on for free. Also used a big cloth bag as my purse and stuffed it w/ other things and then my carry on bag and all still free.................sneaky me
scheming-1.gif

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
JW - Good idea! I carry a backpack plus a carry-on. The backpack is my "personal" item. I've gotten good at figuring out what fits, where :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep my DH wore a back pack last time and took his carry on and I think that is better than the big purse thing. Next time I'll be using the back pack also. I think us women are better fitter inners than the men are..............not trying to start up a big quarrel now guys so just relax,lol!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep my DH wore a back pack last time and took his carry on and I think that is better than the big purse thing. Next time I'll be using the back pack also. I think us women are better fitter inners than the men are..............not trying to start up a big quarrel now guys so just relax,lol!

I do all of our packing, honey can't believe what I can fit in a small place. We fly sw most of the time, two suitcases, a over head carry on, a under seat carry on all free, and cheap flights.

Ask a Question