Do you name your fish?

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by Panzer13, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Panzer13

Panzer13

I started with five little comet feeder goldfish from Petco, Boris, Natasha, Rocky, Bowinkal, and Fearless Leader. Fans of the old Rocky and Bowinkle cartoons here. Sadly Natasha was in poor health and we lost her three days later. Now after the second expansion,and rehomeing some of the original crew and buying shubumkins. We have, original Boris, and Bowinkle. Natasha2, Scooby, Shaggy, and Velma. Silly I know but life is to short not to have fun. ;)

Panzer13, Apr 25, 2018
    j.w and Becky like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Panzer13

Mmathis TurtleMommy

I try not to, but it usually ends up that there will be at least one “named” fish in the pond. Why don’t I name them? The ones with names are the ones that either die or mysteriously disappear:(

Mmathis, Apr 25, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Panzer13

Panzer13

So sorry to hear that Turtlemommy. I have only lost the one fish so far, original Natasha. I think that is because my pond is located so close to my back door. Between a high fenced yard and allot of human traffic. I have been lucky and have had no trouble from predators.
    I think part of this is that the pond is raised and built from wood. I imagine it just looks like one of my planter boxes from the air.
    I hope my luck continues. I would rather not have a net as I don't find them that attractive. But on the other hand I would take loseing any of my fish pretty hard. Definitely something to think about.

Panzer13, Apr 25, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
  4. Panzer13

Jhn

No, don't name my pond fish, as sooner or later they end up heron snacks. The turtles in the pond have names though.....smacky and biter.

Jhn, Apr 25, 2018
    Panzer13 and Mmathis like this.
  5. Panzer13

Timothy Proprietor "Frog's Neck Inn"

Guilty. There are a couple dozen fish in the pond, most of which are smallish, pretty average, and not particularly noteworthy, but a few of the larger older ones have names. We have some that have lived here for five years. There's "Burnt Edges", a comet with an orange body with black fins and back, "Moby Goldfish" an all white comet, "Dreamcicle" an orange and white, "The Big Black Veil-Tail", "Big Red" and another who's name isn't exactly politically correct. (He's the one who got stuck in a pipe when he was much younger and was nearly flushed, but saved when he took one last timely gasp.) "Not PC" has turned out to be one of the largest in the pond and other than his lacking good judgement seems to be doing very well.

Timothy, Apr 25, 2018
    cas and Mmathis like this.
  6. Panzer13

gliebig

Frank the tank.

frank.jpg

gliebig, Apr 25, 2018
  7. Panzer13

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

I just have names like "the big fish", "the red fish", "the red-headed fish", "lipstick fish", and of course "the fish who saw the inside of a frog's mouth".

JBtheExplorer, Apr 25, 2018
    ShawnInfirmity and Panzer13 like this.
  8. Panzer13

Mmathis TurtleMommy

@Timothy Speaking of politically correct..... I had a Ryukin a few years ago that I named “Spaz.” Poor girl suffered from swim bladder issues and, well, when she swam, she looked like she was having a “spaz attack”! Cutest little fish, though! But I named her, so..... RIP, Spaz! Miss you!

Mmathis, Apr 25, 2018
  9. Panzer13

j.w I Love my Goldies

I have over a hundred goldfish and the only one that has a name is the poor huge "Fat Fish" that floats upside down and has been for yrs. And no I cannot bear to kill it! It swims around w/the other fish and eats and just keeps getting fatter. Somebody on here made a little harness out of aquarium tubing so his upside down fish could swim right side up. Wish I had one of those for Fat Fish! Oh here I found it doing a search: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...-with-swim-bladder-problem.22789/#post-372567
    I just looked at his post again and it looks pretty easy to make one and I might just try it!

j.w, Apr 25, 2018
    Panzer13 and Mmathis like this.
  10. Panzer13

Gemma

I only named the one in my avatar, his name is Squalo. I would love to name all the others, and I do try from time to time, but I just can't think of the right names

Speaking of losing fish, this morning before work I went to feed my fish and the 2 smallest ones were missing. I looked in the skimmer box and found a huge frog, but no koi. I'm thinking one of them could be hiding in the stone wall, but the other one is way too large... I fear a snake got them smsad3.gif

Gemma, Apr 25, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
  11. Panzer13

j.w I Love my Goldies

Or they could be hiding in the huge frog! Sorry they are missing :(

j.w, Apr 25, 2018
    Mmathis and Gemma like this.
  12. Panzer13

Gemma

@j.w I guess the frog could have gotten the 6-7" one, but the other one was around 10" do you think a frog can eat a fish that size?
    My little one was the one that hid for nearly 5 months last year, I hope he's ok, I've grown attached to it :(

Gemma, Apr 25, 2018
  13. Panzer13

j.w I Love my Goldies

@Gemma Oh no not the little cave dweller? I don't think a frog could eat a 10" fish unless it was an extremely large frog.
    Guess for sure the big one is gone if you can't find it but the little guy I hope is just scared and in hiding!

j.w, Apr 25, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  14. Panzer13

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I don't name them or pick favorites. They are all called fish!

addy1, Apr 25, 2018
  15. Panzer13

ROW FISH

I guess I had not realized that I named more of my fish than the average ponder. I guess it helps that multiple family members have selected fish to add and each has its own name. Just to name a few....
    -Snowflake
    -Admiral Ackbar
    -Koi
    -Brute
    -Snickerpickle
    -Nessy
    -Captain Black FIn
    -Speckles
    -Captain Hook
    -Baby
    -Clorell
    -Fatty
    -Sir Wiggles III

I should do a thread at some point with pictures. I'm sure I'm missing a few as well but not all of the fish are named.

ROW FISH, Apr 25, 2018
    Becky likes this.
  16. Panzer13

Panzer13

Frank is huge! How many pounds of food does he eat a day?
    Sir Wiggles III? Sounds like their is a story with that one.

Panzer13, Apr 26, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  17. Panzer13

ROW FISH

haha well.... My sisters fish was named Mr. Wiggles. He got a bad fungus infection and died. Thus, she got a new fish and named him Sir. Wiggles. He got stuck in the middle of some horse tail reed during a rain storm and when the water level dropped was stuck in the reeds and died. So she got another and named him Sir Wiggles III. Note: that all of these were the fattest fantails she could possibly find at the store. Thus the high mortality rate.

ROW FISH, Apr 26, 2018
    Panzer13 likes this.
  18. Panzer13

gliebig

He eats a good bit. Comes straight up from underneath like a submarine

gliebig, Apr 26, 2018
    Panzer13 likes this.
  19. Panzer13

Spartamets

My three koi have names: Timothy, Wanda, and Sidekick (who grew into the biggest by far, of course). Only one of my 50 or so shubunkins/comets/regular goldfish has a name: Nixon, because the tail is crooked. None of the orfes do. Otherwise, only Fanny Fantail, who just lost her long battle with spawning-induced fungus. While it is sad that she died (and of course it had to be one of the few who got a name), she is responsible for the huge majority of the fish in the pond, so maybe she martyred herself to the cause of improved water quality to allow her offspring live happier lives.

Spartamets, Apr 26, 2018
    Timothy and Panzer13 like this.
  20. Panzer13

Timothy Proprietor "Frog's Neck Inn"

Very good names! Wanda and Sidekick are too!:D

Timothy, Apr 26, 2018
    Spartamets likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question