Do you name your fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I started with five little comet feeder goldfish from Petco, Boris, Natasha, Rocky, Bowinkal, and Fearless Leader. Fans of the old Rocky and Bowinkle cartoons here. Sadly Natasha was in poor health and we lost her three days later. Now after the second expansion,and rehomeing some of the original crew and buying shubumkins. We have, original Boris, and Bowinkle. Natasha2, Scooby, Shaggy, and Velma. Silly I know but life is to short not to have fun. ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I try not to, but it usually ends up that there will be at least one “named” fish in the pond. Why don’t I name them? The ones with names are the ones that either die or mysteriously disappear:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
So sorry to hear that Turtlemommy. I have only lost the one fish so far, original Natasha. I think that is because my pond is located so close to my back door. Between a high fenced yard and allot of human traffic. I have been lucky and have had no trouble from predators.
I think part of this is that the pond is raised and built from wood. I imagine it just looks like one of my planter boxes from the air.
I hope my luck continues. I would rather not have a net as I don't find them that attractive. But on the other hand I would take loseing any of my fish pretty hard. Definitely something to think about.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No, don't name my pond fish, as sooner or later they end up heron snacks. The turtles in the pond have names though.....smacky and biter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Guilty. There are a couple dozen fish in the pond, most of which are smallish, pretty average, and not particularly noteworthy, but a few of the larger older ones have names. We have some that have lived here for five years. There's "Burnt Edges", a comet with an orange body with black fins and back, "Moby Goldfish" an all white comet, "Dreamcicle" an orange and white, "The Big Black Veil-Tail", "Big Red" and another who's name isn't exactly politically correct. (He's the one who got stuck in a pipe when he was much younger and was nearly flushed, but saved when he took one last timely gasp.) "Not PC" has turned out to be one of the largest in the pond and other than his lacking good judgement seems to be doing very well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Frank the tank.

frank.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Timothy Speaking of politically correct..... I had a Ryukin a few years ago that I named “Spaz.” Poor girl suffered from swim bladder issues and, well, when she swam, she looked like she was having a “spaz attack”! Cutest little fish, though! But I named her, so..... RIP, Spaz! Miss you!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have over a hundred goldfish and the only one that has a name is the poor huge "Fat Fish" that floats upside down and has been for yrs. And no I cannot bear to kill it! It swims around w/the other fish and eats and just keeps getting fatter. Somebody on here made a little harness out of aquarium tubing so his upside down fish could swim right side up. Wish I had one of those for Fat Fish! Oh here I found it doing a search: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...-with-swim-bladder-problem.22789/#post-372567
I just looked at his post again and it looks pretty easy to make one and I might just try it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I only named the one in my avatar, his name is Squalo. I would love to name all the others, and I do try from time to time, but I just can't think of the right names

Speaking of losing fish, this morning before work I went to feed my fish and the 2 smallest ones were missing. I looked in the skimmer box and found a huge frog, but no koi. I'm thinking one of them could be hiding in the stone wall, but the other one is way too large... I fear a snake got them
smsad3.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@j.w I guess the frog could have gotten the 6-7" one, but the other one was around 10" do you think a frog can eat a fish that size?
My little one was the one that hid for nearly 5 months last year, I hope he's ok, I've grown attached to it :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Gemma Oh no not the little cave dweller? I don't think a frog could eat a 10" fish unless it was an extremely large frog.
Guess for sure the big one is gone if you can't find it but the little guy I hope is just scared and in hiding!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't name them or pick favorites. They are all called fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I guess I had not realized that I named more of my fish than the average ponder. I guess it helps that multiple family members have selected fish to add and each has its own name. Just to name a few....
-Snowflake
-Admiral Ackbar
-Koi
-Brute
-Snickerpickle
-Nessy
-Captain Black FIn
-Speckles
-Captain Hook
-Baby
-Clorell
-Fatty
-Sir Wiggles III

I should do a thread at some point with pictures. I'm sure I'm missing a few as well but not all of the fish are named.

Ask a Question