Do you test your water?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There is no harm in checking often. As you gain experience, these checks do not need to be as often. Time and success will tell you how well you are doing. A good balanced system comes with experience.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Gotta agree
No what your doing before you dont do it..

Reaction score
I tested the first year and had panic attacks and added salt and soda and all sorts of strange stuff! but not in the last 3 years.
Naturalizing and well-circulating a large amount of water has seemed to take care of everything, though if my fish were ever to start acting up i'd look into it for sure.

Reaction score
I tested my ammonia, pH, nitrites, and nitrates while the pond was getting established. Didn't bother testing KH or GH, as the water out of the tap is perfect (80ppm).

After the fish had been in for a couple of months, and never even any indication of a cycle (the plants seemed to take care of everything!), I stopped testing.

I haven't lost any fish due to disease.

In the spring, if they breed and my bio load thus goes up, I'll probably test the water once a week for awhile until it stabilizes.

Reaction score
Zone 8a, Chiligirl?!?! Must be on the island, mon! I'm a lucky 2b, so they say...though my zone 4 plants disagree.
Plants are hugely benefitial, don't you think? I just think of the number of still natural ponds around me just loaded with plants and critters and clear water.

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
I never test my water. It's from a well. So I figure natural water won't hurt them.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Intitially I agree, over time, it is best to check periodically unless you are doing regular water exchanges.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just because a pond is clear and the ph, ammonia, kh ad gh readings are good that doesn't mean your water is in great shape.

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean DoDad.

Dr.Dave, I run the water into the pond for about 5 or 10 minutes about every day. I don't like to change the water completely in that I don't want to waste it.

Ask a Question