Do you think I can start using the bog filter without plants, and put plants in in several days time at least?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a bog filter and I am very keen and excited hoping it works.

I wont be able to get plants in for a while. Will it be OK to start using with just the chippings? My worries are that with no plants the bog filter will get all full and clogged up with algae, but then again when I do have plants there's loads of algae all ready for them. I reckon it could be 3 to 5 days before I put plants in. The plants would be young anyway, so I doubt they would be sucking up loads of algae right away anyway.

Thanks

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes it is fine to run the bog without plants, you still get the benefit of the expansion of the biological filter in the gravel as bacteria will start colonizing it.

Your bog won’t get clogged up by algae, it is more silty material clogging the bog if your pumps pull from the bottom of the pond.

Also, the higher plant forms in your bog don’t consume algae the consume the same nutrients in the pond water that algae does. Out competing the algae for it thus starving it out.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree with Jhn. A week without plants won't be an issue. Might as well start pumping water through it now.

Ask a Question