Do you think my pump is dead?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all! I think my pump may be a goner. A little background - it is a Laguna Max-Flo 4200. It's been in my skimmer, running nearly continuously since the spring of 2011. I've never had a problem with it until this past Saturday, when it stopped working. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it will turn on and off several times then stop completely. While it does this on/off routine, the water does flow thru the pipe that goes from the skimmer to the waterfall. My son took it out of the skimmer and removed the impeller cover to see if it needed cleaning. It had just a small bit of dirt on it, which we cleaned off, replaced the cover and then put the pump back in the skimmer. Plugged it in and it came roaring back to life and seemed to be working better than previously. But it stopped working again yesterday. So I removed the pump this morning and removed the impeller to check the impeller well - something we did not do on Saturday. There wasn't anything inside the well but I wiped it out with a soft towel anyway. I put it back together and back into the skimmer. But no roaring back to life this time. Just the same on/off routine several times then nothing. Sooooo . . . . do you think it's time for a new pump?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi all! I think my pump may be a goner. A little background - it is a Laguna Max-Flo 4200. It's been in my skimmer, running nearly continuously since the spring of 2011. I've never had a problem with it until this past Saturday, when it stopped working. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it will turn on and off several times then stop completely. While it does this on/off routine, the water does flow thru the pipe that goes from the skimmer to the waterfall. My son took it out of the skimmer and removed the impeller cover to see if it needed cleaning. It had just a small bit of dirt on it, which we cleaned off, replaced the cover and then put the pump back in the skimmer. Plugged it in and it came roaring back to life and seemed to be working better than previously. But it stopped working again yesterday. So I removed the pump this morning and removed the impeller to check the impeller well - something we did not do on Saturday. There wasn't anything inside the well but I wiped it out with a soft towel anyway. I put it back together and back into the skimmer. But no roaring back to life this time. Just the same on/off routine several times then nothing. Sooooo . . . . do you think it's time for a new pump?

Yep!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks! I ordered another Laguna Max-Flo, 4280. They continue to get great reviews and the one I have now has been problem free until recently, so I'll take my chances with another one. It should arrive early next week. In the mean time, I have another pump in the pond to circulate the water and give the fishes some entertainment. :happy:

Ask a Question