Do you think this is a comet/butterfly mix?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
The white and orange comet has very long fins and they almost have a joint. This was one we got from our recent adoption. I think it is mixed with a butterfly koi, wanting to know waht the :confused: experts think :cool:

Mary

Attachments

• IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 360

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Just a input as there is no possible way by looking from that angle if it is a KOI hybrid. BUT that being said I would say it is more likely a pure comet. It looks like a really long finned sarrasa. I've seen Koi goldfish hybrids and never seen one that took on that look, I have however seen MANY long flowing fin Pure Comets and Shubunkins. One way to get a better idea if it's a hybrid, Look for barbels on each side of the mouth, Koi have them Comets don't, If it is a Hybrid in most cases it will be the Koi that survive as they will eat their own, gold fish do this less and in most cases when the to hybridize the comet side doesn't survive.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One beautiful fish mouseams, whichever it is.

Reaction score
I highly doubt it is a koi goldfish hybrid because they tend to be very drab and also many goldfish have very long flowy fins and are not bred with butterfly koi, but other then that he/she is very beautiful

Reaction score
A good mature comet should have a tail fin as long or longer than the body. Many have shorter fins. Technically the division between the hibuna (common) and the comet is if the caudal fin is more than 1/4 the body length, it's a comet, shorter and it's a hibuna.

This fish looks like a pretty typical comet.

Reaction score
I can't wait to get my fish back outside because since they have been inside their colors have become a bit washed out, bright red has turned into orange and the white has become a bit cloudy as opposed to their old bright clean red and white colors.

Reaction score
I have lots with very long fins...we are slowly re-homing all the short tails. Only problem is the long fins are slower moving and easier prey

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Alas I have none w/ long fins but someday I will if I keep searching the stores. I think they are such beauties flowing through the water w/ their long tails like a wedding train behind them......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :cool:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Where you at in Canada talal? We live about 50 or so miles from the border and we go up to Birch Bay camping sometimes near Blaine which is near the border and White Rock is right near there in Canada. We could do a deal at the Peace Arch Park :lol: I know you are prolly off in some far distant place in Canada but it was worth a try :lol::cool:
Gosh we'd prolly get busted for looking like we were doing some kind of a drug deal :lol:
I can see the headlines now............Canadian teen busted for handing contraband fish over to U.S grandmother :rolleyes:

Reaction score
i live in edmonton, and by white rock i assume you mean in british columbia {we went there for a week vacation a couple years ago}. i see that you live in washington so i don't think it would work out and looooool can you imagine it goes up on google news and msn news and all the newspapers all around the world..."rumors are that the fish is loaded with explosives", or "naughty grandma gets caught wet handed...literally", but hey they would not call you grandma you are still a young girl at heart..maybe they would rip open the fish searching for drugs in the intestinal tract ewww

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Too gross talal............I could not bear to see the poor things ripped apart. Guess the deal is off :lol:

Ask a Question