Do you think this will work?

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I received my lilies from Addy today. I went to pot them but was out of cat litter (of course). I made one of the floating planters out of tubing and deer fencing about 1 foot deep. I tied the tuber to the bottom with some garden twine and floated it in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think a number of people have posted they've had success with bare root lilies. Let us know how it does:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sounds like a great experiment! haha! I was watching some videos last night on dividing and re-potting lilies and the overwhelming message was "you can't kill these things!" You may have just invented a whole new system!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just transplanted my lilies bare root this Spring and they are getting pads coming up. We shall see how they do on the blooms tho come this Summer. Not sure if they will get enough nourishment from the fish poo. If not I shall be putting them back into cat litter next year and adding fertilizer to the pots.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I received my lilies from Addy today. I went to pot them but was out of cat litter (of course). I made one of the floating planters out of tubing and deer fencing about 1 foot deep. I tied the tuber to the bottom with some garden twine and floated it in the pond.
You might need to add a rock, as they grow leaves they tend to get buoyant. If in netting.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I tied the tuber to the bottom of the planter with garden twine. I hope that will be enough to hold it down.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will hold it to the deer fencing, but down the road you may need to stick a rock onto the deer fencing, mine very nicely got leaves and floated the tuber, which was big with lots of roots, right up to the surface, so I added a rock or two

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I thought I would post an update on this. I lifted the basket today to check on the lily and it has grown ALOT since putting it in the pond on Friday. I made two more baskets today and added them to the big pond. I have 4 more to finish tomorrow. I purchased some cat litter and I have planters on hand so if they don't do well, I will transplant them. I hope this works because my fish like to root around in the clay and this will solve that problem.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat! Glad to hear they are taking off, mine still have not gotten a lot of leaves to the surface, but they will

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine too are coming along but rather slowly. Now that the sun has warmed up tho they do look much better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads