Do you use automatic feeders?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tend to [sometimes] forget to feed the indoor fish. Plus, when we go on trips, I'm never sure if DS is feeding them per directions, or even remembering to feed them at all....... Yeah, I know they [goldfish] can go several days w/out food, but......:eek:

So thought I would try an auto-feeder. It's an Eheim. It's programable [up to 4 feedings a day] and you can adjust the amt. of food dispensed per feeding. Right now, I'm playing with that adjustment, 'cause the size of the food particle has a lot to do with how much goes through the little slot. So, for larger flakes [or pellets, etc.], you move the slider to make the slot bigger, and for finer foods, you move the slider to make the slot smaller.
image.jpg

Liking it so far. My only objection is that the unit sits atop the aquarium cover [I have a glass cover]
-- not a problem unless you have......CATS, LOL! [cat-people will understand] There is an optional clip that I haven't tried yet. Hubby suggested using duct tape......:love:

What are your experiences with auto-feeders?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Priscilla In general, no idea. I think this particular one was about $35.00, which seemed high...... I happened to be in a pet store [PetCo or PetSmart] when I decided to look for them. They had 2 or 3 different brands. If I recall, there was one that was about the same price, but it looked cheap. Anyway, I pulled out the iPhone and Googled away, and decided the Eheim was the best choice. Time will tell how it holds up.

One feature it has, and another one had a similar feature, is a little fan that blows air into the chamber whenever it dispenses food. It's supposed to prevent moisture from getting into the food. Sounds nice. No idea if it really works, but as we know, moisture is going to be a problem around tanks [and in humid climates].

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard horror stories where the larger koi feeders have gone wrong ditching their entire load into the pond , dont know about those Maggie but Ehei are really good with what they make its good geran engineering so it should work well

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Dave 54 Dave, this is only for my indoor aquarium, and mainly for when we go on trips [or when I won't be there personally to feed the fish -- like when I go on Boy Scout trips]. That's why I'm testing it out now, when I'm home to monitor it.

Yes, I have read some stories, too, and don't know if I'd want something like that as an outside feeder. But then, I get too much enjoyment out of feeding the fish and interacting with them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used one off and on, so far it works great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have two one on each pond. One is`a kitchi koi buffet and a koi cafe

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is just on my inside tank. The pond gets nothing if we are gone, a auto feeder would be destroyed by raccoons, squirrels. My neighbor now and then will toss in food when she wanders over to look at our fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally I'm never away from home long enough to worry about someone else feeding the fish.

I think if I were though I would be afraid of the automatic feeders. In my mind I can just see the unit dumping the entire contents of food into the aquarium and then having poor water quality kill my fish before I could do anything about it :eek:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My dear sweet newly retired honey wants to spend winters in the south, i.e. warm So we may be gone for extended periods, maybe. But I do have neighbors, camera systems, even a friend that loves to stay here while we are gone, to watch over every thing.

The tank auto feeder has worked perfectly so not too worried about it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I used to have an auto-feeder on the aquarium in the greenhouse, but the greenhouse gets cold during the winter.
I put a cover on the aquarium to keep the heat in with a cutout for the auto-feeder for the food to drop through.
With the humidity that escaped through the cutout and the food bits that were left behind from feeding,, mold formed on the auto-feeder so I stopped using it.

Reaction score
If I was going to be gone for a week ir more and had no-one to feed the fish so undecided to use an auto feeder I would only fill it with enough food for a few feedings. That way if the entire thing dumped, it wouldnt be a disaster.

Ask a Question