Doc biofilter questions

Reaction score
Does the color of the barrel matter much? Most of the pictures I see show people using white barrels, but I can only find black ones on Craigslist.

After some reading, it seems that the black Loctite PL roof sealant is what most people go to. My local Home Depot doesn't carry it though. The closest thing I could find to it are the two in the attached picture. Will one of those suffice? I could check out the not-so-close Lowe's if it absolutely has to be the black stuff.

How much room should be left on the bottom where the muck settles?

Will sunlight be detrimental or beneficial to the biofilter? It's going to be located right next to the pond and it'll be getting sunlight from 9AM until the sun sets.

Attachments

• IMAG0514.jpg
    IMAG0514.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 316

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
What does everyone else use to cut the hole for the dump valve at the bottom? I haven't tried anything yet, but I don't think any of my current tools can cut through this barrel.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can get one that has several different sizes at Harbor freight for around $5 when they are on sale.

Reaction score
Thanks! I got the holes cut with a help of a friend.

Can I use the black Loctite PL roofing sealant for all my PVC connections? Or should I use some other kind of glue? Do I even need to? I read some other threads and some members stated that they never had to seal or glue the connections where two PVC tubes meet. I've never worked with PVC piping before.

Note that I'm not asking about putting sealant around the hole I made for the outlet and dump valves.

Also, how do I waterproof the part where my extension cord connects to the pump's cord? I have a GFCI outlet and a waterproof cover installed at the electrical outlet in the wall, but the part where the two cords meet is still exposed.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I prefer to use pvc glue (cement) all my pvc connections but with that said I do have some connections that use a flexible coupling made of rubber and is tightened down with metal clamps. I use these for areas where I need to be able to take them apart (ie where the pvc and pump connect). If you do glue them be sure you also get the cleaner, put that on first and then put the glue on both pieces of the pvc, the male and female ends. You only a very short period of time to glue each piece and put them together before the glue dries.

Reaction score
You should always glue all the fittings that are outside the pond or filter. You can use rubber boots with screw clamps on area's that get constant vibration or are removed for maintenance, like pumps or UV's. Otherwise they can wiggle or be knocked loose and drain your pond.

Fittings inside the pond or filter don't need to be glued. But some people do it anyways.

Use the appropriate glue for the piping you have. If it is WHITE pipe and says Sch 40 use PvC glue and primer. Always prime before you glue. If its BLACK use ABS glue.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As for the color of the barrel, I think I would rather have black than white, one is the white will allow some algae growth inside where black won't, second I've always been under the impression that bacteria grow better in dark than where there is light coming in. Not 100% sure that is fact or not but most filters are in dark areas in aquariums and ponds so it seems to amke since. For sure I think I would go with the black if that's what is available. sure wont hurt. Oh and as for glueing the pipe connections, If you install a dump valve on the bottom, install the valve as close as possible to the barrel, anything you need to run past the valve don't glue, there won't be any pressure there and only used when your back flushing and it will make it easier if you need to make modifivations later on.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have 2 white 1 blue and 1 black
The white one lets you see the water level during the dump

Reaction score
Should I be worried about the primer and glue leeching into the pond over time? They have all sorts of warning labels on them. It's dried up, but it still makes me wonder.

Attachments

• DSC04111.JPG
    DSC04111.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
No, it is fine as long as it is dry. Follow the directions on the glue. Most are set for pressure after a few hours but I would let it dry for 24 hours before running water threw it.

Most barrels should have a thin line up the barrel that's partially see threw to see the water line. It has gallon markings next to it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember that glue and primer they use on your indoor plumbing also .Well most do I have pex and it doesn't .With my neighbors I put water in it with the filter media and that way I could mark each 5 gallon mark on the outside with a permanent marker ,I started with gallons and lines were to close so went to 2 gallons and then 5 gallons .If you put a clear piece of flexible tubing in the barrel and put your thumb over the top and pull it out it stays filled with water up to what ever is in the barrel and you can check it that way .I put pvc pipe cut in small pieces on each 2 gallon mark on the clear tubing and it is held in place with silicon .I tried other things but the pvc markers were the easiest .I also had to stiffen the tubing up to put it back in with it fitted to a piece of pvc

Reaction score
I have built the pond and placed a few plants in it and I know that I need to get filtration going asap. But, I'm wondering about these 55 gallon systems that are being explained, since I have probably by standers noted in the forum a smaller pond, around 800 gallon. Do I need a 55 gallon filter? Eventually, I will add the fish. I also have read that getting the proper equilibrium between fish and plants that filters aren't needed. Thanks Eric I hope to provide some pictures soon

Ask a Question