Doc / Skippy / XYZ filter question

Reaction score
Does this filter need to be right next to the pond?

I have a opportunity to put it 20 feet away, but the problem there is the intake and out take supply lines will be next to the conduit that will supply my electric to the pond... Not a fan of this one.

The other one is to put it 5 to 10 feet away from the pond.

Option one allows me to use a bigger container, 55 gallon drum, Brute trash can, etc...

The second does not allow a large container as it will be in the pond / garden area and the spot it will be in is next to the fence that faces the street and that will be unsightly. Option two would be a whiskey barrel planter or 18 gallon Rubbermaid type size.

Both options would have the out take from the filter spilling over and down some rocks into the pond, but not a full fledged waterfall, more like a spring.

The pump will be 922 gph on a 700 gallon pond.

Any thoughts, ideas, opinions, advice, etc...?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We ran our electric and water in the same trench, If you have both in conduit, the gray stuff for electric, pvc for water and glued you should be fine. No worse then running electric lines under ground in conduit. My honey is asleep, I think the "rule" is to have the electric conduit higher than the water lines. I can ask him tomorrow, he is an electrician.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
We ran our electric and water in the same trench, If you have both in conduit, the gray stuff for electric, pvc for water and glued you should be fine. No worse then running electric lines under ground in conduit.

addy,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Glued, huh? Standard PVC cement or aquarium grade silicone, or both?

The problem is there is one part of the trench that will have to go under a side walk (width wise, 30" I just had put in last year.

So I will need to sledge two conduits, one for water and one for electric and I should be okay then, right? just glue the connections and trench what I can in gravel, right?

See, option one can be hidden with lattice as it would be next to the garage, with the composter and the two rain barrels.

You think a 922gph, will push everything over and up into the filter, and back okay?

Reaction score
Im using 110mm sewer pipes for the return, and they have a rubber seal that dont need gluing. They are water tight by themselves (but a real pain to insert and even bigger pain to break apart again, but at least you can if you have to).

If I understand correctly, your pipes will go down and then up again. That ought to work, but I would be concerned about dirt accumulating in the lowest parts, and potentially clogging one day. Make sure you make them more than wide enough. Also for the gravity return, make sure to use Ts to aerate the return so you dont get vacuum pulling there.

Last point: long lines will increase your pump head considerably, even more with thin pipes. I think there is a calculator somewhere to let you calculate the pump head, and if your pump has a flow diagram, you can work out what flow it will produce. You might be surprised how much less it is.

Reaction score
Well, still no luck in acquiring a 55 gallon drum. Wherever I call, the businesses do not give them or sell them to the general public. Hard to find on craig's list too.

I guess I will be looking at the 18 gallon Rubbermaids or the 20 gallon plantainers. In other words, making a mini bio filter.

In terms of getting the water from the submersed pump to the filter, Do I just use irrigation tubing fromt he pump to a barbed fitting that attaches to the PVC intake on the filter and use a hose clamp to keep it secure?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He is awake and says it does not matter, but we do glue with pvc glue our pipe ends together, to keep water out of the conduit, from rain etc.

Reaction score
Minnow said:
Well, still no luck in acquiring a 55 gallon drum. Wherever I call, the businesses do not give them or sell them to the general public. Hard to find on craig's list too.

I guess I will be looking at the 18 gallon Rubbermaids or the 20 gallon plantainers. In other words, making a mini bio filter.

Im sure you could find similar sized rain water barrels in any garden shop?

In terms of getting the water from the submersed pump to the filter, Do I just use irrigation tubing fromt he pump to a barbed fitting that attaches to the PVC intake on the filter and use a hose clamp to keep it secure?

That would work. Do make sure its good quality tubing though, that it can resist UV and potentially freezing temperatures without becoming brittle. If the hose gives in, you end up with an empty pond like me, and thats not a pleasant surprise.

Reaction score
I have a ton of 55 gallon plastic drums - only had vinegar in them. I'm in Philadelphia. You can also see how I made Doc's filter at pondfilter.freewebpage.org

Reaction score
once the system is in place and tested, i strongly recommend you glue the joints or use ferncos(anything outside of the barrel). You are setting yourself up for a disaster by allowing the opportunity for one of those to come lose and empty the pond.

speaking from personal experience

Reaction score
I also did some research, and correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I read on here says all you need is the Doc Bio Filter. It's mechanical and biological in one. The dump valve removes all the filth (mechanical) and the poultry netting is the biological. My skimmer is just a net that catches leaves and any stray plants that get loose. It prevents anything from going into my pump and breaking it.

Reaction score
Len351 said:
I also did some research, and correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I read on here says all you need is the Doc Bio Filter. It's mechanical and biological in one. The dump valve removes all the filth (mechanical) and the poultry netting is the biological. My skimmer is just a net that catches leaves and any stray plants that get loose. It prevents anything from going into my pump and breaking it.

I want to start by telling you that I am by no means an expert, I am speaking from experience and only bother writing here to try to help ponders that are just starting out avoid the work and mistakes I have done in the past (and by no means will my mistakes be over) I started with one of these filters my first year of ponding and have since moved on, however doesnt mean you do the same. It can be very effective in combination. Lets start with this, the name says it all, its a doc BIO filter.

"The dump valve removes all the filth (mechanical)"

the filth has to get caught by something, 55 gal barrel by itself for the most part is not good enough for a settlement chamber, let alone it sharing its space with the bird netting. The bottom swirl effective WILL NOT maintain all particles and crud in the bottom. Yes there will be some gunk that gets stuck in the bottom and will be washed when you open the valve, but what is trapping the gunk? All the gunk you see on your bird netting is not to be confused with bio bacteria, its just that gunk. Opening a valve wont clean those nets, you would need to srub or aggitate them, and by scrubbing them you are most probably upsetting and removing whatever bio bacteria that is actually growing on them.

As good as an all in one filters sound, it is not all that it is cracked up to be. You do as you wish and I am not bashing on anyone or anything on this forum. Just trying to give you some insight. Alot also depends on fishload, turnover rate yada yada yada... but from experience, and what the Majority of ponders do is have both processes seperate. Mechanical filter and Bio Filter. In the long run you will benefit greatly from this.

As far as pvc cementing pipe.

I STRONGLY recommend you pvc cement any and all pipe (once you have made sure and tested that everything is working) that is outside of you barrel filter. One day it was pouring outside, i had to change something in the rain on the pond (cant remember) I ran out there did what i needed to, in the hurry i guess i accidentally stepped or kicked once of the pvc pipes from the inlet, it was just enough that water didnt come gushing out but throughout the night, with the constant water flowing it gave way and emptied my pond. I had 5 inches of water left and my fish nearly died. Luckily i didnt lose 1 fish, but you better believe i glued all my fittings, and since then I havent had to worry about that happen to me at all.

Ask a Question