Does a large collection of koi fish have value?

How much might this private koi collection be worth?

• $0 - 999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1,000 - 4,999

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • $5,000 - $14,999

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • $15,000 +

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I am an auctioneer in Northern California. I was recently handed a bankruptcy auction with a collection of 70 koi fish from a private estate in the San Francisco Bay Area. Attached are a few pictures. I am told that these are mostly 18 - 30" fish, some Japanese, some not. I do not know much more about them.

Is there a market for koi collections such as this? What are the factors that must be considered when selling a large collection such as this? How much might they be worth?

Thank you so much for any insight you might offer into the fascinating world of koi fish. The more I learn about them, the more I appreciate them.

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,154
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 857

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you might do better selling individually or small groups...70 fish is alot for most people to take on. no matter their actual value, theyre only worth what someones willing to pay.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
selling them as a large lot like that is going to be virtually impossible unless you find a store or someone that has just recently built a LARGE pond. I would say you would be far better off selling in smaller lots or individually. Some could be worth thousands and some could be worth far less, hard to say what someone would be willing to pay but for that size I would guess $75-100 a fish to be a fair starting price.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats a lot of hungry mouths to feed for sure .There are koi people online that sell them and get good money but then as the economy gets worse you may be selling a few here and there unless you can find a koi farm

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Wish I was closer, I would be there to take a look! I see a few that I would consider bidding on. Probably a good thing I'm not!!!!! :bouncycig:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thats pretty sad to lose your fish to bankruptcy. Would the pond have sold as a short sale? I would say the value is so low and unlikely to sell they should be given back to the original owner.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your insight. Unfortunately, I doubt that we will be able to split the fish apart for a sale. It seems like it would be a very long and difficult task to identify and photograph individual fish or sub-groups of fish for sale, so we are probably left trying to find a buyer for the entire collection. Either that or find a rescue operation that is willing to take them on...

Regardless of the outcome, I will be sure to send this group a message if the fish become available.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
If you post this on craigslist you will probably be able to sell most of them. Put a post up with the same pictures you have here. Let folks come with containers and let them buy as many as they want. If I really wanted a koi I would pay 75 to 100 dollars and maybe offer for the price to go down with the number of fish they buy. If you are concerned about the fish that would be the easiest way to try and sell them. Even if you got 200 or 300 for 6 fish it would add up.

Ask a Question