Does aerating make the water colder?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a question for the upcoming very mild Winter I will have. If I keep my Fountain waterfall and fish spitter running in the cold months, would it make the water colder, faster since they push air into to water to oxygenate it? Thanks

Reaction score
In theory, if the air temperature is colder than the water temperature any increase in water circulation will cool the water.
However, you live in Florida and probably don't get freezing temps there very often, so I don't think you have much to worry about.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Plus your ground temps may keep the pond warmer for longer and sun will warm the pond and surrounding ground also .If I can keep fish here with my pump running and no harm has come to them in 10 years then you should not have a problem .Gosh last year I kept my filters running all winter .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Humidity level also figures into it. If your relative humidty is 98%, you won't get much evaporative cooling.
If your humidity is low, like 40%, any wind will noticably cool down your pond.
I'm not sure if Florida ever receives any dry air masses passing over it though.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Florida does get a cold snip now and then but not much to talk about .I just put my pond heater right over top of my pump it does help .But thinking in Florida you would never use a pond heater .I know last year i only used mine 3 times and that was at night .I guess we will all find out what we are going to get this winter in weather .Lets hope mild again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Plus your ground temps may keep the pond warmer for longer and sun will warm the pond and surrounding ground also .If I can keep fish here with my pump running and no harm has come to them in 10 years then you should not have a problem .Gosh last year I kept my filters running all winter .
There is a way of heating a pond using the ambient temperature of the ground with a centeral heating pumpand plastic pipe work but the problem is you have to go deep to acctually get any benefit from this form of heating.
Dont know about your ground temperature idea sissy ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large filter system where we pump air into it 24/7 365 days a year but in the pond we turn our bubbler bottom drain down to a trickle throught the winter the pond is also covered with policarbonate.
The filters are housed and insulated and the air around them warmed

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question