Does anybody eat string algae?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to try floating plants for the first time this year.
What time of year is best to add them? I assume now is a bit too early?
Can they survive the winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Some of those floating plants such as water hyacinth and water lettuce are tropical, so they won't survive cold weather.
When purchasing them look to see if they are tropical or hardy. Hardy indicates they will survive cold weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's making more sense. The cattails (which don't appear in my little pond picture) have finally started growing vigorously. They've been dormant all winter, though in this climate the tops remain green year round. There's a period, say February and March here, that's too cool for the the cattails and horsetails to put out any growth but quite warm enough for the wicked string algae to take off. Now that the bigger plants are growing again and absorbing more of the phosphorus, the string algae have subsided. I do like the toilet brush idea, I think a toilet brush with a 7 foot handle could be quite the conversation piece.

The trap door snails seem interesting, is there any chance they'd transmit disease to the koi?

I do need to get some 'floating nets' and water ferns.
Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a bundle of watercress at the grocer, it is now taking over the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
And it helps keep away the algae
in a world of 'gone wild', I'd rather deal with algae than cattails any day! There's a lot of other plants good for your pond and that are not so hard to eradicate should you turn your back to them, than cattails...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
is there any chance they'd transmit disease to the koi?

Not that I've ever heard. They are fun to have in the pond - they're quite large, so you'll spot them by following the "trails" they leave as they clean off the rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
in a world of 'gone wild', I'd rather deal with algae than cattails any day! There's a lot of other plants good for your pond and that are not so hard to eradicate should you turn your back to them, than cattails...

Agree!

And while watercress may take over, it's extremely easy to yank out by the armful and it's tasty and good for you, too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
These are narrow leaf cattails, Typha angustifolia, a bit smaller than the common Typha latifolia, i've got them in plastic fibre bags and the pond has a butyl liner, i do think I have them under control. Seems they've finally started absorbing the koi poo this spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
These are narrow leaf cattails, Typha angustifolia, a bit smaller than the common Typha latifolia, i've got them in plastic fibre bags and the pond has a butyl liner, i do think I have them under control. Seems they've finally started absorbing the koi poo this spring.
they're like the Weeping Angels from Dr. Who; don't turn your back on them.;)

Reaction score
@kaari, I'm also in San Jose, and have also had an issue with string algae this spring. I have a lot of underwater plants in the pond (don't have a good shelf so no bog plants), but also have many fish (goldfish & minnows), which I suspect have multiplied and may be overpowering the plants.
For the first time, I ordered snails, which should be coming soon and I'm hoping will help fight the algae and not hurt the pond. Also, I had replaced my two filter materials a while back, and I don't think I put enough filter material into the top layer, meaning some water was coming through without always being filtered. This past weekend I smushed in another piece of filter to make it tighter, which I think/hope is helping curtail the algae too.

Ask a Question