Does anybody remember the math?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just doing my spring-time cleaning out of string algae and was trying to remember - does it grow 10 miles per day or 100? I always get the decimal wrong...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Seems that way don't it. Post some pics and tell us a little about your pond maybe we can help. How old is your pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm just bloviating over the annual ritual. Pond is 25 years old, 650 gallon hard-shelled fiberglass pool (tub imported from England). Host to 9 shubunkins and the occasional toad looking for romance...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's just part of Spring! A happy time of year!

For some reason I don't get much string algae here in Pennsylvania.
My liner does get that blanket of green in the Spring, but I know it will go away once my plants kick in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I get minimal, my bog sucks out the nutrients it lives on. Water, at this point, crystal clear

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you have to multiple by an exponent that is equal to the pounds of leaves you scoop out of the pond. Or something like that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's amazing stuff, for sure. It will be gone in a few weeks when the rest of the plants kick into high gear. One interesting thing it clearly reveals: under-the-surface-of-the-water circulation. The surface of my pond slowly rotates counterclockwise, but underneath it moves slowly clockwise. Watching the long strands of algae undulate is mystifying...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
for a couple of early years, I got string algae in the pond but I haven't seen hide nor hair (sic) in quite a while. Does the string algae hide out in others' ponds waiting for the right condition? Somehow, it all died out in mine and I don't get it anymore.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is often an early spring grower for many people, which makes sense. When nothing else has started growing in the pond because it's too cold, the string algae gets a foothold. Some years we get it, some we don't. Many factors that influence that, I'm sure. In any case, we should see it as a helper, not a nuisance.

Ask a Question