Does anyone have a Blue Bird nest-box camera?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last year was our first time to be Blue Bird landlords. We have one nesting pair now, and they have laid 5 eggs! We are at incubation day 7, so hopefully will have chicks in another week! Once these babies fledge, but before the next brood, I would LOVE to install a camera! I want to keep an eye on them and watch their progress, but feel bad every time I open the box to check on them (we have raccoons).

21A75E62-C173-4F7A-98D6-2F0C85E020A4.jpegC04EC15D-2186-4850-8B35-DC0DDF91C908.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't but I'm longing for one! I'd like to put one on my bird feeder to get a, well, bird's eye view!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice picture of the eggs.
Can you take a daylight picture of the blue bird house. I can't tell in the other picture what is like?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice picture of the eggs.
Can you take a daylight picture of the blue bird house. I can't tell in the other picture what is like?
I just ran out and took a few shots — at great risk! This family of 1 adult female, 1 adult male, and 1 juvenile male (this is common) is very protective — much more so than the ones we had last year! You know it when you are dive-bombed by 3 angry little birds! They apparently snap their beaks at you and it sounds like someone popping chopsticks! This nest box opens on the side (the side you can’t see here). The roof was a navy blue color, but I repainted it a gray — we have very hot summers.

1D9793A1-29E1-4493-94DC-D485E990FF37.jpeg

If you look closely, you can find 2 Blue Birds. That’s Daddy on the fence, and either Mom or Uncle on the shepherds hook. Daddy never took his eyes off me!

406DAAE4-34EA-42FB-BCE5-D22DAEE6E6CD.jpeg

458D9EDB-69D0-4291-BAE9-40D987D2CB17.jpeg

And this is Daddy glaring at me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd be afraid my intrusion might make the parents abandon the nest. Any danger of this happening? If you want pics, I'd put cam in there before the birds showed up and then you'd be all set. Problem might be with the lid closed and the small opening, you may not have enough light for normal pics. I security cam can still take pics though and simulate color. Might be worth a try. Be pretty neat to watch their progress!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'd be afraid my intrusion might make the parents abandon the nest. Any danger of this happening? If you want pics, I'd put cam in there before the birds showed up and then you'd be all set. Problem might be with the lid closed and the small opening, you may not have enough light for normal pics. I security cam can still take pics though and simulate color. Might be worth a try. Be pretty neat to watch their progress!
Exactly why I want to try a camera, LOL — those parents were not happy with me today. I have entertained the idea of either customizing this box, or building a customized box — larger interior with taller ceiling to accommodate a camera. I definitely plan to wait between broods, or even until the end of the season before I do anything drastic. I can be patient.

Reaction score
There are battery operated security cameras by Ring, Arlo and Blink.
The Ring option has both battery only or battery with Solar - I think Arlo does too, but not sure. I like the Ring cameras.
Problem might be inside space... but if you're going to make an extension that may help... sounds like these birds are pampered but dont know it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The Ring option has both battery only or battery with Solar - I think Arlo does too, but not sure. I like the Ring cameras.
Problem might be inside space... but if you're going to make an extension that may help... sounds like these birds are pampered but dont know it :)
oh, I don't know about that...I mean, how would YOU feel if someone put up cameras in YOUR bedroom, hey? ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! Blink has been recommended by many folks on my bird groups. It does look like it was designed for compactness. We already have yard-cams by a different company, and they can be adapted to use solar — solar would be our first choice, but as I said, not in a hurry so plenty of time for research and preparation. For now, we just won’t be “checking in” on the nest as often. These birds (Daddy, in particular) now give me the stink-eye if all I do is walk through the backyard!

Ask a Question