Does anyone have Mosquito fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I can't seem to find any in the aquarium/fish stores nearby. Is mail order an option to have fish arrive alive?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
locally we called the county mosquito abatement folks who drop them off annually for free.

Worst decision we ever made. They live through our winters and are extremely invasive. I threatened the mosquito abatement guys to never step foot here again.

If you have koi or comets, you dont need them and DONT want them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And even if you don't have koi or comets, you probably don't want them. They are horrible little fish that have more babies than a person can imagine.

I scooped a 5 gallons bucket full of the little monsters out of the big pond late one summer and tilled them into my garden. Didn't make a dent in their numbers.

I've even heard tails of people draining their ponds and letting them sit dry for a while to get rid of them but once they filled their ponds again they were back .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree with the others. I haven't had personal experience but I've heard only bad things about mosquito fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had them in my arizona pond, yep they do multiply, but fun to watch they would swim up my stream.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have a population explosion of ruby red minnows in my pond, but lately I've been findng a lot of carnivorous water beetles and a reduction of minnows.
Given a chance, nature will balance things out if you let it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a population explosion of ruby red minnows in my pond, but lately I've been findng a lot of carnivorous water beetles and a reduction of minnows.
Given a chance, nature will balance things out if you let it.
Natural balance doesn't apply to Gambusia (Mosquito fish). They multiply faster (eery 27 days) than most specie; they do not lay eggs but are live-bearers. Though small, they are considered predators. They are carnivorous and will prey on any other aquatic creature, including each other. It has also been suggested that they may act as vectors for several pathogenic aquatic organisms and diseases.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Why do you want Mosquito fish? Do you not have other fish in your pond? Goldfish and Koi both eat Mosquito larvae.

Oh, ok. I don't even remember what the pond guy said about them. He gave us some a couple years ago, but they are all gone. He's been MIA lately. I called him once about the pond and we talked about him coming out to rebuild that pesky leaking waterfall, but nothing. I did not buy any mosquito fish, anyway. Someone recommended some product to take care of the leak, and I bought it, but that was rejected by my other half. So what else is new, but that's a different story.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put some mosquito fish in my pond not more than a month ago. The pond is two small ponds that drain together. one is about 3ftx4ft 18" deep the other is about 6ftx4ft 24+" deep.

I added them to the small pond some made it to the large pond, they have breeded already, there are now lots of little mosquito fish.

they are very tiny and like to stick in schools right now. I am glad something is thriving

Reaction score
Country
United States
I added 18 last spring and over that summer I had i'd guess, 500+? Then over the winter months... had less than half.
Over this summer, they doubled again!!!
I do enjoy watching them eat he plankton cubes i feed them.. like tiny sharks...lol.

But now I'm worried, about , Meyer Jordan post on disease!?

Ask a Question