Does it make a "quality" difference whether water hits water or splashes on rocks...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
....as it enters the pond?

image.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would guess, (guess only) that the splashing creates more oxygen than the flow. I would also guess that it is probably negligible and should be picked based on which sound you like better.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always go for sound ,the more sound means better air in the water .I keep an air stone in each one of my filters

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
the more water is rendered aerosol, I would assume it would evaporate more as well... so hitting rock may lose more water over many days...

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If "quality" you mean by oxygenation and off gassing... the method that does the best is the one that exposes the most surface area of water to the atmospheric air...

Cascading shower water falls has more "quality" than sheet waterfalls due to the cascading shower water forms water droplets and thus more surface area of water to the atmospheric air... However, if the sheet waterfall is tall enough, then the sheet breaks apart to form little droplets halfway down..

Sheet Waterfall

Cascading Waterfall

Splashing on the rock helps as well.. but more effective when done in a stream.. this is called "Flow Form" aeration..

Flow Form examples

Building a pond stream is awesome as well for oxygenation and off gassing... ONLY if there are rocks that are forcing the water to move around and splash around... so to imitate a Flow Form...

Ask a Question