does my pond look healthy?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is approx 16 ft long,3 1/2 ft wide, shaped like a "P" with the p part being about 8ft wide and 6 ft long, the whole p part is approx 2 1/2ft deep and the rest is 3ft..I have 2 800gph pumps running with a fairly small bio barrel to help filter on top of the 6sponge prefiler I have connected to one pump (has bio balls inside) please don't bash me, ive had my pond 4 years so it's done fairly well, but my fish are-13 koi and 2 fat fantail goldies, with at least 15 koi babies running around..I've heard it's too many fish but they seem suited well? & yes I do plan on making it bigger next spring :)this will be our 3rd "remodel" of it...please keep in mind I lost my grandfather 2 1/2wks ago so it hasn't been cleaned as well as it should and we've had lots of rain
20150803_110845.jpg
20150803_070802.jpg
20150803_110708.jpg
20150707_084817.jpg
20150806_111908.jpg
20150806_111950.jpg

Attachments

• 1442004096221.jpg
    1442004096221.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 393
  • 20150710_095345.jpg
    20150710_095345.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 20150803_070802.jpg
    20150803_070802.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 337

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Nice clear water and pretty fish, lots of plants to!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Bash, Bash, Bash!! There, now it's done and over with! [Just kidding]

Your pond looks nice and your fish look healthy. You already know, so I won't mention it again....especially since you are planning to enlarge. Be sure not to over feed!

But one thing you didn't mention, so I'll bring it up -- and that is water testing. Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH? Testing for those is really the only way you can know if your water is "healthy." Then, if a problem with water quality does start to creep up, you can stay on top of things -- until you get a bigger pond :)

Keep us posted on your progress, and especially once you start designing and building the new pond. We get so much enjoyment from seeing others' ponds, and watching their "builds" progress. And I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather! This must be an emotional time for you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and agree water looks clear and fish look healthy ,have you tested your water .Sometimes redoing means messing up what is working now so you will have to think ahead and sorry to hear about your poppy it is always hard to loose a loved one .But they are still there in your heart and watching out for you .

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I think the pond looks 'well', but if you're concerned, buy a test kit and have fun:p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
My pond is approx 16 ft long,3 1/2 ft wide, shaped like a "P" with the p part being about 8ft wide and 6 ft long, the whole p part is approx 2 1/2ft deep and the rest is 3ft..I have 2 800gph pumps running with a fairly small bio barrel to help filter on top of the 6sponge prefiler I have connected to one pump (has bio balls inside) please don't bash me, ive had my pond 4 years so it's done fairly well, but my fish are-13 koi and 2 fat fantail goldies, with at least 15 koi babies running around..I've heard it's too many fish but they seem suited well? & yes I do plan on making it bigger next spring :)this will be our 3rd "remodel" of it...please keep in mind I lost my grandfather 2 1/2wks ago so it hasn't been cleaned as well as it should and we've had lots of rainView attachment 86056View attachment 86057View attachment 86058View attachment 86059View attachment 86060View attachment 86061

I like it alot. Beautiful Pond and you have some beautiful Koi. I don't know how many fish you have but it looks like several with limited amount of room. I would just be concerned about overstocking....Sorry about your Grandfather.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the kind words,No I've never tested my water, but in 4 years I've only lost 3 fish and it was due to a power outage..I don't really understand where things (ph,nitrates, etc)should be to test? I have 15 fish that range from approx 5in to my biggest being approx 1 1/2ft, 2 are goldfish..only 3 of my koi are over a foot long,the rest are 5-10in but I do plan on adding to my existing pond or building a new one all together to accommodate them once they are full size but they have lots of room as of now, but I do know that will change as they grow..especially having babies lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone for the kind words,No I've never tested my water, but in 4 years I've only lost 3 fish and it was due to a power outage..I don't really understand where things (ph,nitrates, etc)should be to test? I have 15 fish that range from approx 5in to my biggest being approx 1 1/2ft, 2 are goldfish..only 3 of my koi are over a foot long,the rest are 5-10in but I do plan on adding to my existing pond or building a new one all together to accommodate them once they are full size but they have lots of room as of now, but I do know that will change as they grow..especially having babies lol
senecassmoker weve lost 9 koi in the last 28 years , sadly we lost a chagio just the other day when it jump clear out of the pond most probably after insects .
It wasnt parasites because I took a slide after I found the dead koi [you have to do one on a live koi only ] the microscope came up negative and all our water perameters where good.
You can learn about using a microscope in the articles section however you need a good scope ours is x 40 to x1026 with occular.
Both @Mmathis and @bettasngoldfish have bought their own and are now actively using them.
I note that your using cherios to feed your koi [only do this as a treat].
Koi if properly looked after will live for 80+ years, goldfish 40+
Our oldest koi is fast approaching 29+ years and recently survived a lightening strike on the pond , however hes now a tad bent head to the right tail to the left as is our Aka kigoi the third koi a gin rin kuhaku survived with just a small back hole in his head which has now disapeared.
Out of the koi deaths weve had three jumped clear of the pond , one out of a tank at a FBAS fish show [it later died of septicemia].
No parasites where recorded of any of the koi nor where there probelms with our water perameters.
So we surmise they jumped for insects and simply misjudged their landing one of those got caught in the net we used to have and died.
One lost one to old age last year aged 27 years one to a compromised immune system, two to a gram negative infection on the change over from tank to pond after we removed the undergravel filter from the tank prior to the change over from inside to outside [my fault].
As well as one to an ulcer whist in QT [ after checking our notes].

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you @bettasngoldfish , he isone of my favorites :) & yes i do feed them cherios but only as a treat, usually a good handful once a week,I feed them tetra pond food color and wardley pond pellets regularly,I mix those with a few flakes and feed :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
& my husband did my pond for me, he's a Jack of all trades so he comes in handy :D & we don't have MUCH room to work with because we live in a mobile home/trailer park, the reason of the odd shape is we have a water meter in the way :/ ONE day I'll be able to live in a house with some land and go crazy with my pond :)

Ask a Question