Does my pump need to run all the time?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just set up my first pond and I'm wondering about pumps and wether they need to run all the time. Can I set my pump to a timer so it shuts off at night to save electricity? TIA

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
all depends what type of pond, fish, filter.. without that information your question can't be answered

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I believe your pump should run 24/7 unless it's shut off for the winter. I no longer have fish, but still run the pumps to keep the water moving and prevent algae build up...not to mention mosquitoes breeding.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome6.gif
@Hudson pond keeper

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
all depends what type of pond, fish, filter.. without that information your question can't be answered

This right here...

When you say "pond" do you mean 5000 gallons with 20 big koi? Or a preformed 200 gallon pond with a few aquatic plants and no fish? Are we talking the pump that feeds your filter or just a pump on a waterfall or other water feature? The answer may be yes and it may be "whichever you prefer" depending on the situation.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the guidance all. Sounds like I will keep it running 24/7. At the moment I've got an 880 GPH pump connected to tubing which will eventually form a waterfall. The pond is 8 ft. wide and 4 ft. at its deepest point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you know the volume of water in your pond? I think the current recommendation is to recirculate the entire pond volume twice an hour. That pump seems too small for those dimensions. Maybe there is a second pump for filtration?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I pump into two flood and drain grow beds, so cycle on and off every 30 minutes. I was worried it would wear out the pump, but am going on three years with no trouble. Probably just jinxed myself.

Ask a Question