Does temperature affect cycling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should I disconnect the uv then? I'd just disconnect the cable and then the pump will rub and the filter will just do its mechanical and biological job

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would definitely turn off the UV. I'm not a fan in general, but as @Jhn said the UV will kill any single cell organism that passes by it, including bacteria. UV only works for floating single celled algae anyway, which isn't a concern at this point.

Another point to remember - your air temps are fluctuating from day to night but I'd be willing to bet if you checked your water temperature is changing very slowly. Water temps move much more slowly than air temperature and are more stable - water both warms and cools very slowly, relative to air temperature. That's more true of an in ground vs above ground pond, and for larger ponds vs smaller, but generally holds true for any body of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It concerns me when you state you cleaned out the pond.
My question is to what degree?
I hope you didn't empty it and scrub or pressure wash the liner. If you did, you'll be starting all over concerning the nitrogen cycle, which may take weeks to recover.

Patience is definitely a part of ponding. Nothing happens overnight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Patience is definitely a part of ponding. Nothing happens overnight
With the aquarium hobby we were all lead to believe clean clean clean your fish tank vac the bottom replace or clean the filter materials . Water changes regularly. The Natural pond with a bog is pretty far from that concept. While yes we want to keep heavy organics out of the pond such as leaves twigs and decaying plant matter.
Patience patience patience is key something I myself am lacking. It took sometime to get the string algea to disapear on its own. It's unsightly but nature will find a way given the proper stage to work with. Some times the best action is no action at all. Such as draining and cleaning the pond . Your back to square one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
With the aquarium hobby we were all lead to believe clean clean clean your fish tank vac the bottom replace or clean the filter materials . Water changes regularly. The Natural pond with a bog is pretty far from that concept. While yes we want to keep heavy organics out of the pond such as leaves twigs and decaying plant matter.
Patience patience patience is key something I myself am lacking. It took sometime to get the string algea to disapear on its own. It's unsightly but nature will find a way given the proper stage to work with. Some times the best action is no action at all. Such as draining and cleaning the pond . Your back to square one.
about 7 or so years ago, maybe a bit more, I decided to turn my saltwater aquarium over to a bog mentality, though without the obvious bog area (didn't have room for a mangrove!) and haven't looked back. So, I DO do water changes, maybe every 8 weeks for a 90 gallon with 2 clowns and a blue tang in it. I now rely on NO filtration other than 'nature' vai the live rock, snails, urchins, and some submerged plants (which I have keep segregated from the tang, giving it the overgrowth). I use to always use hang-on filters and had a proetin skimmer at one time. Now, just a balanced system that requires only 25% water change periodically, to replenish the trace elements. I'm sure I'm breaking all the marine aquarium rules...

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
about 7 or so years ago, maybe a bit more, I decided to turn my saltwater aquarium over to a bog mentality, though without the obvious bog area (didn't have room for a mangrove!) and haven't looked back. So, I DO do water changes, maybe every 8 weeks for a 90 gallon with 2 clowns and a blue tang in it. I now rely on NO filtration other than 'nature' vai the live rock, snails, urchins, and some submerged plants (which I have keep segregated from the tang, giving it the overgrowth). I use to always use hang-on filters and had a proetin skimmer at one time. Now, just a balanced system that requires only 25% water change periodically, to replenish the trace elements. I'm sure I'm breaking all the marine aquarium rules...

That is pretty much how I’ve always done my salt tanks be it a reef or fowlr tank. Either using macro algae in my sump or the most recent set up a 220 gal tank with nothing but an algae turf scrubber. Couple years back I pulled the protein skimmer out, and do water changes once a month, but I do need to dose mag, alk and calcium, to keep with the demands of the coral in the tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is pretty much how I’ve always done my salt tanks be it a reef or fowlr tank. Either using macro algae in my sump or the most recent set up a 220 gal tank with nothing but an algae turf scrubber. Couple years back I pulled the protein skimmer out, and do water changes once a month, but I do need to dose mag, alk and calcium, to keep with the demands of the coral in the tank.
we be rebels, jhn!!

Ask a Question